1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: URGENT! F6 floppy drivers without floppy drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by accountclosed3, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. accountclosed3

accountclosed3 Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi, I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro SP2 on my Compaq CQ62-423NR laptop.

I use this laptop for work. It came with Windows 7 Home Premium. During the past few days, a computer on our company's network was infected with a virus. It spread to our company's network drive (NAS) and infected many of the files. When I used my computer to access the network drive, the virus infected my computer, and for some reason, AVG wasn't able to detect the virus until it was too late. I.T. has restored the network drive from a backup, and all ordered everyone to restore from a clean backup or reinstall Windows. I have made backups before, but they were stored on the computer's hard drive and I.T. says the backups may be infected, so I can not use them.

It's been a long time since the warranty expired. HP doesn't want to let me order recovery media. Then I made a dumb move and deleted the Windows 7 partition, hoping to be able to install Windows XP. But there was a problem with that.

If I simply boot from the installation CD, a BSoD (STOP) appears. After some research, I found out this is because my laptop's hard drive has AHCI and there is no option in the BIOS (InsydeH20 Rev 3.5) to disable it.

I read somewhere that I can either use a floppy drive to load the AHCI drivers before installation, or slipstream the ISO/install CD and add the AHCI drivers to the list of drivers that come built-in.

Since I'm trying to install Windows XP on a laptop, I can't easily add an internal floppy drive, and I'm not willing to buy a USB floppy drive that I'm only going to use once. Nobody I know has a USB floppy drive, so this solution won't work.

I have tried slipstreaming the ISO and the installation CD (I have both) with drivers from Intel's website. Now I have a slipstreamed ISO, but the problem is I don't know for sure whether not I slipstreamed it correctly, and I don't want to waste a CD. I tried to make a bootable USB flash drive with the slipstreamed ISO, but couldn't boot from it.

Is there any way I can use the F6 floppy drivers without a floppy or burning a CD?
    Anyone who knows, please reply ASAP. I use this laptop for work, and need it working by this Monday (February 4, 2013). Otherwise I will have to resort to buying a new laptop,

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You'd buy a new laptop but not a $20 floppy?

Why not use a CD-RW, then you can erase and re-use it for something else. You can also use n-Lite to slipstream the drivers with the Windows disc if you are unsure of the method you used: http://www.nliteos.com/

I haven't come across a computer that doesn't provide an option to switch the SATA controller mode to IDE or Legacy Mode to allow XP to install without the need for extra drivers.

Additionally your IT department may be able to assist you with this, they may be able to provide a floppy drive, a CD-RW disc, slipstream the Windows XP disc for you, or provide you with a Windows 7 disc to use with the license key on the laptop to reinstall that.

3. accountclosed3

1. My work laptop is one of the cheap models, and can barely run Windows 7.
    2. I'd have no (or very little) use for the USB floppy drive in the future
    3. It's not worth it to get a retail key to use on the laptop, I'd rather get a new faster laptop

Good idea. Thought I had some, but after digging through piles of old blank CD-Rs, turns out I'm all out. I'll go out to the store and buy a few tomorrow. Hopefully the laptop can boot from CD-RWs.

Forgot to mention that in the first post, slipstreaming was done using n-Lite. I tried to get Intel AHCI controller drivers into the ISO, but I'm not sure if I did the process correctly. It won't really matter once I get some CD-RWs, though.

The laptop has InsydeH20 Rev 3.5 firmware. The exact kind you'd get on a new but bargain-priced netbook. I swear, I have checked through every single option in the BIOS, and none of them is about the HDD or controller except for S.M.A.R.T., which I believe is used to estimate the lifetime of the hard drive.

Called them as soon as I read your reply. Unfortunately, I.T. says bring-your-own-devices is entirely at your own risk (according to the bring-your-own-devices policy). They said the only way they could help is to give me one of their ancient Windows 2000 laptops. I guess that's better than buying a new one. I'll have to do that if there's no solution.

Apparently Linux Mint works on my laptop, both live CD/USB (with persistent file system) and installed on HDD. I'm telling you, even that's better than the Windows 2000 laptops. But Windows XP is still my number one preference, I've used it for as long as I remember.

I'll try the CD-RW solution, if that works, I'll post it here. Btw, I might need some help with making sure the files aren't permanently burned to the CD-RW.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You don't need CD-RW discs. You stated you have CD-R's, simply use one of those. It doesn't really matter if you can reuse the disc or not. CD-R's cost what, $.25 each or less in bulk.

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

Shouldn't your employer be doing, uhhh...well...all of this?

6. accountclosed3

I don't want to waste a CD-R if I mess up. I'm going to buy some CD-RWs today, and see if my laptop can boot from them. If not, then I'll use CD-Rs. Both ways, I still have many uses for them.

Our employer says we're allowed to bring our own devices instead of use the office computers (which are really slow). The bring-your-own-devices policy says its entirely at your own risk. Even called IT, and they said they don't have to fix my computer, but could lend me a Windows 2000 work laptop.

----------

Consider this scenario...
    I have a CD-RW and a slipstreamed Windows XP ISO. If I burn the ISO to the CD-RW, would the burn be permanent, or would I be able to delete it and recover space on the CD-RW?

I want to be able to burn other files on the CD-RW after I'm done with installation.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Really??? A blank CD cost pennies; about 10 of them. If you do not want to put out ALL of 10 cents, I doubt anyone can help you.

Either buy a floppy drive, use a priceless [all of 10 cents] blank CD OR use the work supplied computer.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

It has been a long time since I stopped using CD-RW's which are expensive and unreliable when CD-R's are cheap and use a much safer and more stable dye. RW's are a waste of money.

9. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    To answer your question, no, nothing is permanent on a RW disc.

But as noted, RW media is unreliable. It's also twice the cost of R media in bulk.

10. accountclosed3

Had to use one of the Windows 2000 work laptops our company provided. It wasn't as slow as I thought. But a more modern computer would've been much better.

Alright, so I tried burning the slipstreamed ISO to the CD-RW, but still got BSoD on setup. I should also mention that the code is 0x7B, which is same whether I use the slipstreamed version or not.

This makes me believe that I have added drivers for a SATA controller that my laptop does not have, or somehow incorrectly slipstreamed in general.

Laptop Specifications
    I installed Windows 7 (30 day trial) on the laptop, and ran CPU-Z and Speccy. Now I have full specs. If anyone could take a look at my laptop specs and find the right SATA controller driver for me, that would be great! (Serial numbers are edited out of these logs.)

Here's the CPU-Z log
    http://pastebin.com/1d2egdeB

And here is the Speccy log
    http://pastebin.com/id2n67xC

Please help me find the correct drivers for my SATA controller.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've removed you contact info, this forum provides all support through the forums and not in other ways.

HP provides Windows XP drivers for that unit, but no F6 driver. I haven't come across any Compaq notebook that did not have an option to switch the SATA controller mode to IDE/Legacy/Compatible. Try looking again under the Storage or Advanced menus for SATA settings.

In any case, it's an Intel GL40/ICH9-M chipset so try this Intel SATA/RAID F6 driver: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/con...21730&OSFullname=Windows+XP++*&ProductID=2101

Rest of the Compaq drivers for Windows XP are here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5101367#N710

12. accountclosed3

SOLVED! Thanks for identifying the chipset and providing the correct drivers.

The "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver" worked! I slipstreamed the driver files with nLite. (Also added SP3, and unattended install options.) Then burned/burnt the new ISO file to a CD-RW.

Found out what I did wrong the first time, I was using incorrect drivers! Instead of the RST drivers, I got the Matrix Storage Manager drivers. I'm not even sure how I messed up. Anyway, huge thanks to Triple6 for identifying the chipset and giving me links to the correct drivers.

This is for anyone who has the Compaq CQ62-423NR and gets BSoD error 0x7B (or 0x0000007B) after "Setup is starting Windows."

Helpful Slipstreaming Guide: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...or-XP-solution-on-0x0000007B-BSOD/td-p/114120
    CTRL+F and find the heading "For models with GL40, GS40, GM45, GS45 or PM45 chipset"
    Then follow the .DOC or .PDF guide.

F6 Floppy Drivers: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/con...21730&OSFullname=Windows+XP++*&ProductID=2101
    Download the controller drivers.

Windows XP SP3: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24
    The guide is outdated - use SP3, not SP2. If you don't want to install SP3 via slipstreaming, use Windows Update after installation.

Compaq CQ62-423NR Drivers: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...8&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5101367
    Windows XP does not have proper display, network and sound drivers. Display will be of low resolution, and there will be no sound or Internet. Use another computer to download these drivers and copy them to a USB flash drive. Then plug the USB flash drive into the laptop and install the drivers.

Thanks for helping me solve this problem, I will definitely recommend this forum to friends and family.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad you got it working (y)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!