1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Urgent: How do you format the DISPLAY of a date field?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by maxx_eclipse, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxx_eclipse

maxx_eclipse Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I'm having problems with Access, where I have a date/time field, which stores a month and a year (successfully), but still automatically assigns the first date of the month in question.

I used the following input mask (00/0000;;_) for the date field, and so far I haven't had any troubles with putting in a month and year. So far so good. But when I complete the date and move on, Access changes it to a full date. e.g. 06/2010 --> 01/06/2010.

Now, I'm actually fine with this part, my only problem is that I don't want it to do this in forms (both datasheet and normal view) or reports.

I heard something about using a Format (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HP010990151033.aspx) to adjust the display, but I can't seem to get that to work. Is there any other way to tell Access how to display the date field, like what can be done in Excel?

This is rather urgent as I have a project due tomorrow and this problem (as well as others) have now been reached and I'd like to solve them as soon as possible.

Any help is appreciated, and I look forward to your responses.

2. Sponsor

3. sp3851

sp3851

Step 1 Open the Access program by clicking on its icon on your desktop.

Step 2 Open the table that you'd like to modify in Design View.

Step 3 Create a Date/Time data type field, or click on one that is already created.

Step 4 In the Field Properties box in the bottom of the screen, click on the General tab and then on "Format."

Step 5 When you click on "Format," an arrow will appear on the right side. Click on the arrow to obtain a menu of format choices.

Step 6 Select from General Date, Long Date, Short Date, General Time, Long Time or Short Time. Use the Help icon if you are unsure which choice is the best for your needs.

Step 7 Save your table before exiting the program.

4. maxx_eclipse

Thanks for the input sp3851, appreciated.

But my problem is that I can't get Access to only display the month and year. I don't care about the date, I just want to control the forms and reports and how they display each date.

5. sp3851

sp3851

6. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

All you have to do is split the Date in to month and Year in the Query that supplies your Form or Report.
    You can use use the Format() or the Year() or Month() or DatePart() functions in the query to do so.

7. turbodante

turbodante

Create textbox, in control source

=Format([SDate],"mmm yy")

Where SDate is the field that stores the date.

Attached Files:

8. maxx_eclipse

Thanks OBP and turbodante!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!