1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Urls not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ArtGuy, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ArtGuy

ArtGuy Thread Starter

Several weeks ago I wrote for help because I could not get the URLs to work from either IE6 or Outlook Express, but no one had an answer. I finally figured it out. I had installed a nifty little utility (Pop-up Stopper) that keeps annoyings pop-ups from appearing when you're in Internet Explorer. Unfortunately, it also kept URLs from working, too. Fortunately, it's easy to disengage and reingage when you want it or don't want it.

I do recommend the utility event though it made me crazy for two weeks.

ArtGuy

2. pgscott

pgscott

my understanding is that many of the popup, ad suppression programs and antivirus email checking packages set up an internal proxy to intercept the web page before your browser gets the information. (eg. Cookie Cop, adsubtract, norton antivirus are a few).

If I unload it instead of having it stop the filtering, some packages give a message that access to internet won't work anymore.

You keep urls working by just starting and stopping filtering in the product itself. (often this is done with a right click on the icon) If you try to exit the program or "close" the icon without doing an uninstall, the proxy is still active, and closing the program means that the browser doesn't get anything from the proxy anymore.

There is also a "foistware program" that can put new.net on your machine which alters the configuration of TCPIP and Winsock. Deleting the program disables internet access except for a few pingable sites. You should do uninstall to remove it. Deleting is dangerous.

3. ArtGuy

ArtGuy Thread Starter

Thanks for the info though I'm not 100% sure I understood all of it. this little guy nestles in the tray and by right clicking I can easily switch between allowing browser pop-up windows or not. It has worked very nicely for me and has kept annoying pop-ups like the digital camera ad from appearing.

4. pgscott

pgscott

cool!

Glad it works, that's the way i'd hope it would work.... click it "on" or "off", that's simple.

I guess I misunderstood you, thought you meant with your popup stopper loaded, you couldn't get to the URLS you wanted.

When I have a customer computer that now can't get to the URLS they type in (or any other sites on the internet) but it was before, I check for software such as pop-up stoppers or advertising suppression programs that might have changed the internet settings to put a "proxy" port in. Sometimes the settings still show that internet explorer should go to the intercept "proxy" port even though the software is not loaded.

Glad all is working fine!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice