1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB 2.0 connection problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jampot, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

I have an oldish computer (approx 3 years old) that is running XP.

I have noticed that the majority of items connecting to PC's these days seem to do so via USB 2.0 rather than the USB 1 which I have on my PC.

I have seen USB 2.0 cards advertised for a reasonable price. My question is firstly is it possible to add these to my system thus converting it to USB 2.0. If so how difficult is it to achieve. I am very reluctant to start tinkering with removing the casing of my PC but realise that it may be the only way.

If the card is connected with the casing off, is there a cover of some sort that needs to be removed so that the actual USB 2.0 sockets are accessable once the casing is put back into place?

For the record my system is:

MESH ATX MIDI
    Athlon XP 266MHZ motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 1700+ CPU (266 MHZ)
    256MB DDR Memory
    40 GB HDD
    64MB NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX (128 BIT BUS)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

jampot

2. rosh325

rosh325

Hi Jamport,
    Assuming I'm correct and you have an actual tower pc (not laptop) then you can add a usb 2.0 card via the PCI slots on your motherboard. If you look in the back, there should be slots that are covered with metal. You would open up the case (be sure to ground yourself by touching an unpainted portion of the case), find a pci slot which is not occupied, and plug this in. In the process, you would also remove that metal plate (which is probably screwed on). After you do this, the USB2.0 ports will be accessable to you. Keep in mind, that if you plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.0 port it will still work, just at a slower rate, as the technology is backwards-compatable. Hope that helps.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-201-206&depa=0

3. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

rosh 325

Thank you for your posting - it most definitely does help, esp when you mention the backwards compatabilty issue as this was not something that I was aware of.

I believe that USB 2.0 is around 40x faster than USB 1.0 so I will probably give it a go!

Thanks again

jampot (y)

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have added USB 2.0 cards to systems with W98SE and later, they all worked just fine.

6. rosh325

rosh325

No problem...dont be afraid of opening your case....I know I was, but it's really not that bad in there. While you're inside, you might want to get some compressed air and spray around...I had a computer which died because the processor fan got clogged with dust. If you have any more questions feel free to post back :-D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice