1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB 2.0 Issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Izzeho, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Izzeho

Izzeho Thread Starter

Alright, just reinstalled windows XP on my PC. It's from 2005 and ran USB 2.0 perfectly fine before reinstall. Anyhow I installed a windows XP cd I found with SP3 on it and my USB is transferring at 11mbps (usb 1.1 speed). It's incredibly frustrating cause I ALL my data on an external hard drive.

So anyway, I have tried windows update on the driver. I've tried installing the drivers off the CD and off the site - but it won't let me, saying "It already come with >SP1 and is not needed". Apparently Windows no longer provides the driver even because it's inbuilt in the OS.

Can anyone help me here. I'm really desperate and refuse to reinstall windows again - Just finished reinstalling ALL the programs I had.

2. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    have you actually checked what is listed in device manager. Are all your drivers insatlled after the re-installation? When you expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers is there one listed as a USB2 enhanced host controller.

3. Izzeho

Izzeho Thread Starter

Yeah I have, what I get is shown below. The driver details says it's from 2001 so I assume its USB 1.1. The window to the right of it is what shows up when attempting to update the driver...

[​IMG]

4. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    ok, you might have to check if the mobo supports usb2. have you checked that out. maybe you will find what you need on the motherboard manufacturers site. Aslo you didnt have a pci card for usb 2 previously? if you did maybe that needs to be reinstalled along with its drivers?

5. Izzeho

Izzeho Thread Starter

It's also just onboard USB slots and all the drivers are definately installed.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Did you reinstall the motherboard drivers? After you do that update all the usb controller drivers until one comes in as Usb 2.0 enhanced or enhanced.

7. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    what rich said :)

I realise you said it ran perfectly before, one of my bosses said the same thing about his home computer. It turned out his mobo did not have usb 2 and he did have a usb 2 card that he had forgotten to reinstall drivers too.

8. Izzeho

Izzeho Thread Starter

Even if it were to be a driver issue. Drivers don't install USB 2.0 support, Windows does! =/

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Not exactly right, the chipset driver facilitates quite a few driver installs and often it is just a case of manually updating to usb 2.0 with the usb controllers..

10. unclejoe10

unclejoe10

good day, I bought a new sony usb flash drive 1GB (vaio), I want ed to use it but asking me to instal the driver. No driver came with it and I chek the internet if posible to download the driver, Alas I couldn't find driver. can anyone help me out thanks

11. Izzeho

Izzeho Thread Starter

Well I just solved my problem - I had updated the BIOS before reinstalling and by default (for some ridiculous reason) USB 2.0 was disabled in BIOS, along with the network (which explained why my lan cable wasn't working, but my wireless was).

As for your issue unclejoe, I'll start by saying there would definately not be a driver it needs. Your issue is that Windows isn't recognizing it as a flash drive, what version of Windows have you got, and is it fully updated?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!