1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: usb 2.0 question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tjamnz, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

Hello

What is the best way to determine wether or not your pc is usb 2.0 compatible?

Is there another way besides device manager?

Thanks

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    you can check in your bios but even if it is 2.0 capable, if 2.0 is not turned on it will not work as 2.0.

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Easy. Plug in a device that you know is USB 2.0. If your port is USB 2.0, nothing will happen (except the device will be usable). If your port is USB 1.1, you will get a warning that speed could be improved by plugging the device into a USB 2.0 port (ironic, I know).

Incidentally, if your port is USB 2.0, you will never receive a warning even if you plug in a USB 1.1 device.

Courtney

4. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

Thanks Courtney,

My roomate plugged his ipod into his win2k desktop computer, and i dont think he got the message (warning message)... so he thought he was getting 2.0 and hense the debate ensued. I was trying to tell him he'd probably need a new usb 2.0 pci card to make it happen.

Anyways 480Mbps (60 Megs) is blazing fast... wish net downloads were that fast

thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice