1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB Converter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nerdkid117, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nerdkid117

Nerdkid117 Thread Starter

I need to transfer data over 20 ft through a USB cable (it is a 3D camera) but I dont want to use repeaters every 4 feet. Could I convert the USB to serial and then back to USB without losing my data? What do you think is the best way of getting my data the 20 feet without losing any bits?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Nerdkid117, and welcome to TSG.

The maximum length for a USB cable is 5 meters, or about 16 feet. Two pieces of ten or twelve foot USB cables with one repeater or hub between them should cover your twenty foot distance. One hub or repeater would probably cost less than any type of converter set up.

USB uses serial data transmission, and so I don't understand what you mean by converting USB to serial.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may be able to get it to work with a longer cable if you are want to take the chance on a 20ft cable.

Or try to move the two devices closer together.

Or use a USB powered hub as mentioned above, and you definitely do not need one every 4 ft, one hub will do with two 10ft cables.

Now there are USB Extenders like this : http://ca.startech.com/Cards-Adapte...t-50-Meter-Multi-Speed-USB-Extender~USB110EXT
    But they tend to be limited to a slow 12MB/s rathern than the full 480MB/s of USB 2.0 which I doubt will be anywhere near enough for a 3D camera.

If you want to convert the USB to RS-232 Serial than I don't think that'll work at all, RS-232 serial just wasn't designed to handle that bandwidth and the adapter I think you are referring too is to add a serial port not do what you are wanting it do too.

4. Nerdkid117

Nerdkid117 Thread Starter

Is there something like a Wireless USB transmitter? Where it would take in the USB male end that sends it to a receiving unit that would take it back to the USB male end?

The displacement is about 7 ft but where we can run the cable is the 20+ ft and we can make them any closer

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!