1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB device install problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Houston_CA, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Houston_CA

Houston_CA Thread Starter

Hello;

I've been having issues with my wife's laptop for over a year and before I dump it on a service tech I would really like to try and fix it myself. Soo here goes.
    I have a Compaq Presario 700 1.2 GHz AMD processor. USB 1.X HW.
    Via chipset running Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 installed + all the latest security patches. We had a Canon USB scanner, palm pilot and USB mini drive that worked fine.

My wife would like to use an external mouse and keyboard so I got a Compaq port expander that plugs in via usb and provides keyboard, mouse, serial (db9), parallel (db25) and 2 more USB ports.
    During the install I got an error 28 and the message bad data from the HW wizard.
    I went to Radio Shack and got a USB -> PS/2 splitter for keyboard and mouse and attempting to install that causes the same error message. Drivers for both HW are apparently in Win XP. I tried to install an external USB sound card that comes with it's own drivers and it failed the same way. I have been able to install the USB splitter and port expander on my WinXP pro desktop at work without a hitch.

After reading some forums I tried to go into the device mgr and tried to roll back the usb drivers but is said there are no copies so then I removed the USB drivers and let windows reconfig at the next boot. I've done this with the notebook connected to the net and also disconnected because I had read the XP will override your driver selections if it finds newer versions @ MS. Attempting to install and use the USB->ps2 splitter always fails. Tonight I tried to plug in the Canon scanner that was working before I removed and reconfig'd the usb drivers and it nolonger installs. It now fails with the same error.
    The only USB device that works is a little USB mini drive 2.2 GB that works just fine.

I show a USB root hub and a Via rev 5 host controller. Both show dates of 7-1-2001 but looking at the properties of the drivers show SP2 drivers.

I have extracted the usb files from the original driver.cab file from C:\i386\ and put them in their own dir as well as a copy of the usb files that are currently in C:\windows\system32\drivers.

So I have what a think is a Sp2 mess up, maybe USB2 ->USB1 campat issue.

So, my question is.. will I kill the machine if I copy the old driver files into the system32 directory and remove the USB config and reboot?
    I'm thinking that If I can get the config setup for the splitter, port expander, sound card, scanner & palm pilot and can then copy the SP2 versions of the USB driver files back into place.

Thanks much for any help
    -Houston

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think that's a real bad idea! This is a lot more likely to be some sort of registry corruption or mis-configuration. Try this:

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
    -------------------------- cut after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
    -------------------------- cut before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

3. Houston_CA

Hi;

Okay I've done this, well most of it. On the reboots shall I login between them or just reboot again before logging in.

Thanks much
    -Houston

4. Houston_CA

I went ahead and rebooted the second time. The HW wizard found the composite device and went to load the drivers. Then is says there was a problem installing this hardware USBPS2. An error occurred during the installation of the device. The data is invalid.

This is what I've been getting.

Thanks much for any help.

Houston

5. JohnWill

Have you checked to see if there are any motherboard drivers for the laptop? Perhaps you're missing some low level driver for the hardware.

6. Houston_CA

7. JohnWill

Have you tried backing up all the data and using the restore disks to go back to the factory configuration? It's somewhat of a PITA, but it'll let you know if it's hardware or software...

8. Houston_CA

Hi;

It's funny I was just thinking about that last night. I haven't done it but I guess I'm going to have to try. I think it's a software issue because the USB scanner was working just fine until I removed the usb driver config and then had XP re-add the USB support. Oh well I guess it's time to start doing backups...

Thanks for the help
    -Houston

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If SP2 was an upgrade, a possible alternative to a clean install is to remove SP2 -- test the issue, and upgrade again.

10. Houston_CA

SP2 was an upgrade, I'll remove it and try. Good idea.

Thanks
    -Houston

11. Houston_CA

Well so far so good. I removed Service Pack 2 and after some issues booting I got the laptop back up and running. It kept rebooting so I had to go into safe mode and then shut down. I was trying to use safe mode +network to fetch SP2 and get it on the disk. The update URL kept kicking me out so I just turned the laptop off. Once the system rebooted it was fine. Whew!
    I then added the USB->PS/2 splitter for keyboard/mouse combo. It loaded and configured just fine. I'm in the process of adding all the other USB HW that we have around the house now. More Updates when I'm done. Once that's all done I'll add SP2 back in.

Thanks for all the help folks,
    -Houston

12. Houston_CA

(y) Well it seems to have worked. With SP2 removed I installed a USB->ps/2 splitter, USB port expander, Canon scanner, Sound blaster MP3+, USB->MIDI Edirol UM-1X, 4port mini hub and a mini Disk (2.2GB). I finished installing SP2 and the USB->PS/2 splitter still works with the external keyboard and mouse. I quick plug of the sound card and USB->MIDI cable brought them up just fine. The previous USB enumerations seem to have been preserved across the SP2 upgrade. I don't have anything else to try at the moment so I don't know if anything new will fail. So currently I don't know if I had a corrupted SP2 file or SP2 has problems with my Via chipset USB 1.1 root hub/uhci controller.

Thanks much for all the help
    -Houston

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Good to hear -- you can mark the thread "Solved" using the Thread Tools menu to make it official :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!