1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB dilemma

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Morny, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

Hi to all @ TGS

My laptop is formatted as NTFS and has a partition of FAT32, which is for backup and is handy if I need to roll back for any reason.

I have 2 external drives and have formatted these to NTFS. All works well but I have since bought 2 flash pen drives and left them as they came which is FAT 32 and their default. I just don't know whether it really makes any difference formatting these to NTFS or just to leave them as they are, please?

Many thanks
    Morny

2. stantley

stantley

I would just leave them FAT32, all the flash drives I have are FAT32.

The only time you would need to format to NTFS is if you plan to transfer a file bigger than 4 GB to the drive, since FAT32 can't handle files bigger than 4 GB.

3. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

Hi Stantley,

Thank you so much for your reply, it was most helpful and I shall leave my pen drives as they are. With my 2 external drives, I will keep them as NTFS because it would take ages to reformat back to FAT32 because of all the data and files!!

Warmest Wishes
    xxx

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Also NTFS is not a good idea for flash drives as it has both higher overheads and higher write rates which lowers the life of flash
    Microsoft introduce EXFat for flash memory which is Extended Fat that has the ability to use bigger files than 4gb and doesn't have the overheads of NTFS.
    The downside of it is that MS hold the patents and are not making it easy to licence.

5. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

Hi DaveBurnett,

I hadn't heard of that MS one or how it works, so that is useful to know. I don't think any of my files are that large and so I will stay with FAT32.

Many thanks for your reply.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice