Solved: USB drive doesn't show up in "My Computer"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

eckst25

OS=Windows XP)
I have a Western Digital USB drive that I reformatted to use with a satellite receiver. Now I'd like to use it again with my computer. Under device mgr I could find it and under properties/general it said "the device is working properly." Properties/Volumes said partition style was MBR. But right clicking on the drive did not give me the format option.

So I right clicked the My Computer icon and chose manage/disk management. Now it shows up and right clicking the drive yields a format option. So I formatted and while still in Computer Management/Disk Management the drive shows as follows: Volume=WD USB, Layout = partition, Type = Basic, File System = NTFS, Status = Healthy (Active), Capacity = 149.05GB, Free Space = 148.98 GB, % free = 99%, Fault Tolerance = No, Overhead = 0%.

Any ideas why the drive doesn't show up in My Computer? I still can't access the drive - I can only see it under Computer Management/Disk Management.

Thanks for any help you can give.

eckst25

I just found a similar expired thread. I see what you were after. The drive hadn't shown up with a drive letter. It was only showing up as Drive 7. I right clicked on the drive and chose "change drive letter and paths." Voila! changed it to Drive M: and now it shows up in My Computer.
Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online