1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB drive flashes like crazy, can't remove it for 2 or 3 mins:verclsid.exe to

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Saussure, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

My laptop runs on Windows Vista Home Premium with all the latest patches (exept for SP1, still need to install that one). When I plug in a USB drive, no matter which brand, the light of the USB stick starts flashing non-stop, and the mouse cursor, the standard arrow with that Vista-specific blue circle (equivalent of an hourglass, I guess), flickers along just as crazily. If I try to disconnect the USB drive (via safely remove hardware), I am told that another program may be using it, although not a single file on the USB drive is open. I can't disconnect the USB drive for a good two or three minutes until all the flickering and flashing has stopped. So I ran a HijackThis scan during the flickering and flashing. I have already saved an earlier HijackThis scan of my computer (no nasties, everything clean), and when I compared the two, I saw one process which had popped up during the USB "flamenco":

C:\Windows\system32\verclsid.exe

It disappeared after the flickering and flashing. What on earth is that? Isn't the entry above actually part of a Microsoft patch?

2. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

3. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

4. mcnugget

mcnugget

does it do this in safe mode?

5. telwat

telwat

6. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Never tried out safe mode. There are no nasties on the computer - HJT log was evaluated. It's a quirk which the computer got after a Windows Update, I think. I'm not quite sure. Could be something else.

7. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Uhm...any answers? Suggestions as to how to fix this verclsid.exe/USB problem (if, as I suspect, verclsid.exe is responsible for the laptop's weird behaviour when plugging in a usb stick)?

8. telwat

telwat

Is Readyboost on for that drive?

9. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Only on one of them, Sony Microvault. But I don't use ReadyBoost, and there is no U3 or portable apps on the drives. I would also like to add that my USB drives work perfectly on my other computer, a sony-vaio desktop running on windows xp home sp2. They also work fine on the university computers which run on vista business service pack 1.

10. telwat

telwat

Install service pack 1?

11. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Can't (as yet) - my SigmaTel audio driver version is listed as incompatible. Funnily enough, Windows Update has been trying to push SP1 out to me since last month - even though I've got an incompatible driver. That's a whole other story, and it has got its own thread.
    I would also like to add that Windows Media Player crashed just a few minutes ago when I removed my USB drive. Now I'm wondering if WMP is to blame. Again, that is in another thread. I thought that this one was dead and no one was answering/knew an answer; and I thought that the title, which I cannot modify, sounds misleading, because it may not be that verclsid.exe process to blame in the end.

12. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Okay, verclsid.exe doesn't seem to be the culprit. Installing Service Pack 1 for Vista seems to have solved the problem.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice