1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] USB Driver not found

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by memphisaaa, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. memphisaaa

memphisaaa Thread Starter

Roadrunner (cable modem) came out to install today and the usb port on my gateway G6-400 was not detected. No problem,so the tech thought,and grabbed a ethernet card and installed it. The computer won't recognize that either. I'm running windows 98. Should I try to reinstall it or is there somewhere i can download the driver? Help Please!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do the USB ports appear in Device Manager under System in Control Panel. USB port drivers are inculded in Windows excpet for USB 2.0 ports, which they would only be if installed recently.

What version of Windows do you have? When did these problems start happening, I mean did you install anything new or change anything?

3. memphisaaa

Yes the USB ports show up in the device manager. At first they had a yellow circle by them. I removed them rebooted and then reinstalled. Now they show up normal. We tried hooking our digital camera up and it sees it but keeps asking for a driver and I have no idea where to get it.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I'd REALLY try to get the Ethernet option going, it's a much better way to network. Also, the Ethernet connection will allow you to use a router if you decide you'd like to share the connection. :)

5. catlady13

catlady13

Which ethernet card did he put in ? You will have to know to find the drivers.
    Also for your camera .. did it not come with software that contained the drivers? If not we will need to know which camera make and model as well as the nic card make and model to help you find drivers ..

6. hansmax

hansmax

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q240075

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;263218

Actually the latest version of 95 supported USB, although sometimes hit and miss.

"Windows 95 OSR 2.1 and OSR 2.5 provide basic USB support that was developed as the technology was first emerging. Based on today's more mature USB technology, there are a number of limitations with USB support in Windows 95 OSR 2.1 and Windows 95 OSR 2.5.

These limitations were addressed in Microsoft Windows 98 and carried forward to Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition. Addressing these limitations required several architectural changes that are not portable back to Windows 95 OSR 2.1 or Windows 95 OSR 2.5.

Microsoft recommends that customers who require a more robust USB environment upgrade to Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition."

8. mbotoole

mbotoole

Windows 98 definitely supports USB, (not USB2.0 though I don't think). I have a USB printer and USB network adaptor that worked fine on Windows98.

9. ~Candy~

By the way, I have that same system and I had a USB 2 device connected to it. You just need to install the USB 2 drivers that come with the device.

10. memphisaaa

is an ovislink 10/100 Mbps

11. ~Candy~

And the version of 98? Original or SE?

Did you try the card in another slot? Do you have a free IRQ to begin with?

Start, run, type msinfo32 and hit ok, go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

12. memphisaaa

I am not sue the cable guy installed it. After four hours here he left the ethernet card in the computer and gave me another brand new one and told m to call them when we got the ethernet card or the usb working>
    Thank You!

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 (free)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 (free)
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 EPSON Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 U.S. Robotics 56K Voice Win
    11 Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64D
    11 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee AGP
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

13. memphisaaa

its 98 original i believe

14. memphisaaa

the usb not working a few weeks ago when i hooked the digital camera up for the first time. I read in another thread to remove the device managers that were marked yellow and re-install. I did that and now the CPU recognizes the usb port link but still says there are no drivers to download the pictures. Is that just for the camera? Since the usb port is recognizing the camera now can i call the cable company back and get it hooked up that way? From what you guys say it is better to go through the ethernet card.
    Thank You!

15. ~Candy~

The camera probably needs software and drivers. Let's not cloud the issue with that right now though.

Did a driver disk come with the Ethernet card? Hopefully they didn't charge you an installation charge, what a piss poor tech if he couldn't even get an ethernet card installed correctly :rolleyes: You may have to try different slots. I hope it's not going to want to grab IRQ 10 or 11 though......that is where a lot of them want to be :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice