1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB expansion problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PK-her0, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hi guys,

i have a clone box...horrible thing!!! it had a power supply that blew...and i replaced the power supply
    then it was freezing after a few minutes of operation...truly freezing clock didnt change

i narrowed it down to the front usb ports...in fact none of the usb seemed to work...and yes...i did check in the bios
    and everything was enabled except legacy usb...but this didnt make a difference
    as soon as i plugged usb in it froze

so i disabled USB and added a pci usb expansion card
    now im getting unknown device usb errors and the big black usb icon in the task bar.

is the card still using aspects of the on board usb...or is it totally seperate...?
    do you think the card is gone too?

any suggestions...please

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do you have the latest Service Pack? You may need to update if you haven't

Whether you have an expansion card or not, you still need to have USB enabled in the BIOS.

Here is one approach to cleaning up and reinstalling the USB support. You will probably need to uninstall the USB Controllers and let them be reinstalled. Usually a couple of reboots are needed to complete it. You should remove ALL USB devices before doing this and temporarily rely on a ps/2 mouse and keyboard, especially if you have password protected the system. Otherwise you may not be able to log in until the USB ports are reloaded.

To do this you have to first install a registry patch >> http://forums.techguy.org/attachments/100544d1173412107/usbghosts.zip

Best to create a restore point before proceeding.

Then once the patch is installed and with that USB device NOT connected open the Device Manger, and under "View" select "show hidden devices"

Then drill down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers and remove the "ghosted" "code 45" entries (check the properties if you are unsure)

There is a more complete procedure which involves uninstalling ALL USB devices, not just "code 45" ones but you MUST be using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard to do this, especially if you are on a password protected system.

3. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hi rollin,

thanks very much for your input...

this is on a clean install...shouldnt the device detect the correct drivers and install...and work?
    i have service pack 2 installed

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yes it should -- but what do you mean "clean install"? Are you referring to the operating system or the expansion card?

SP2 should have all the USB support you need and no further drivers should need to be installed -- even with the new card.

Have you checked the Device Manager for errors under the USB device tree?

You should be looking for the "Enhanced" drivers there

In my 2nd screenshot you see the entry for a VIA enhanced controller card installed on my old Dell XP SP3 system. The drivers for this are the same as the other.

Attached Files:

5. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

it turned out to be a faulty card
    i replaced the board in the end
    but have new quickbooks nightmares now

I

LOVE

MY

JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wooooooooo hoooooooooooooo!!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice