1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB ext. hdd not mounting in win2k3

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by darthrevan945, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthrevan945

darthrevan945 Thread Starter

hi all..
    i have 2 exernal HHD's. one is an 80gb, one is a 250gb. they both work on every computer ive tried them on, windows xp, 7, ext, mac os x, linux. but do not work on any windows server 2003 system ive tried. they both show up as "This device is working properly." in device manager, but they are not assigned a drive letter. i have back ups that need to be restored and is not possable without these drives.

thx in advance

2. darthrevan945

darthrevan945 Thread Starter

fixed it.. botchcoder sent me a PM explaining this, i forgot about it. i apolagize for the post, but here is how to solve the issue for anyone else having the same problem.

"Windows Server has a tendency of attempting to assign a drive letter to the USB hard drive that is already in use. Open Disk Management and look at the current disks. You will probably see your USB Drive but there is not a letter assigned to it. Go to that device, right click on it, and then click on CHANGE DRIVE LETTERS AND PATH. You will then see a place to change the drive letter. Simply change it to a letter that is not being used already and then CLICK OK. You problems are now resolved. The operating System will assign the letter of your choosing and from then on." - botchcoder

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice