1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB External hard drive - now not recognised anywhere

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by granted6805, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. granted6805

granted6805 Thread Starter

I borrowed my friends external hard drive. I was working fine on my PC. Now however when I plug it in I can not access it.
    When I plug it into the USB the icon on bottom right of screen with green arrow, shows I have the device plugged in, but My Computer does not show the hard drive.
    I plugged the hard drive into my work laptop and same thing happens.
    My PC recognises other USB devices such as ipod and USB stick.
    The hard drive is Western Digital.
    I am on Windows XP.
    I am unsure what has happened. I did one day accidentally knock it out of the USB port one day but I believe this problem existed before this.
    Can you please help me as this drive has back up data on it from my friends work so I don't want to lose it.

Thank you!

2. HCD

HCD

With disk in USB...If you right click on My Computer and left click on Manage. Then left click on Disk Management - any sign of the disk....is it "healthy"?

3. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Try restarting the machine with the external usb attached and turned on.

4. granted6805

I have tried both these things:
    1) My computer shows my PC to be healthy, but can not find the USB storage device. I put in a small USB memory stick in just to check and it showed this.
    2) Computer can not restart with USB device inserted. It gets stuck on the first screen shown on start up (I can not press del or F9 to get passed).

Anything else?

Thank you!

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does it appear in Disk Management? If the USB was knocked out, there is file system damage at least, and possibly damage to the internal electronics.

You may need to remove the drive from the enclosure and connect it to the PC directly to recover files.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

6. granted6805

7. HCD

HCD

As a last resort - try reloading drivers for device (not significant I'm afraid!) - if still no joy....it's dead...! I have dealt with a number of WD hard drive failures over the past month - mainly with SATA drives though...you might contact WD direct .... as they might "volunteer" to try and help...

Good luck

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

In another PC by USB, or did you take it out of the case?

9. granted6805

I tried with another PC via USB.
    I took it to a shop and they did some software test but there was no luck there. They advised if I want to get the data back I need to go to a Data Recovery company.
    I will tell my friend who owns the drive and see if he has backed up the data. If he has then I'll have to just by him a new one. If not I will take the plunge and see what it costs. Sorry I do not know how/and am not confident enough with someone else's stuff to take things apart.

Thanks to all who replied to my question. It was my first ever forum post and you are all very kind. It's great there are sites like this! Much appreciated.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice