1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB External HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rocky_tipper, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rocky_tipper

Rocky_tipper Thread Starter

Hi All
    My USB 500GB Fujitsu MHZ2500BT G2 external hard drive is recognized by the computer. It installed and shows it is working properly but I can not see it in computer or in disk. It is listed in device manager USB section. No exclamation. If I restart the computer it is there listed in computer. Can not see it after computer wakes from sleep state.
    I have removed it from device manager and reinstalled device. Nothing I have tried works except a reboot. I have been using this HD for 2 years on this system with no issues at all untill now. Have tried all suggestion I could find from the tech site and still nothing works. Because I could not find a solution, I purchased another HDD - Seagate 1tb goflex and still same thing.
    Please help. Thank you

Computer Specs
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Business , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3581 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT , 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 139746 MB, Free - 56046 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 6309 MB; G: Total - 953868 MB, Free - 951816 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0WY040, , .9VCDDF1.CN4864377Q2708.
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Techtatane

Techtatane

I had seen this issue with an HP printer : the solution was to update driver.
    the issue was caused by an windows update incompatible with the older driver.

look out for new drivers of your hard drive

good luck

3. malar

malar

Insert the driver installation CD into the disc drive of the computer. Momentarily the driver installation wizard loads onto the screen.pls suggest on this site pcservice center in chennai.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

No drivers are needed, so do not try to install or update them.

You have been using this drive and it suddenly failed, and a new drive in the same case did the same thing? Is that right?

Then the case is probably at fault.

If you are not using the same case, then try other USB devices to see if any work to be sure the USB slots are working. Check Device Manager for any problems, and then try cleaning up all unused, old, installed USB devices.

USB Device Cleanup

Click the top of the column so that all unconnected USB devices are listed together, select them all, and uninstall them.

5. Rocky_tipper

Rocky_tipper Thread Starter

Thank you so much Elvandil.
    I have been on the search for a solution for this issue for months now. I can finally put this to rest and move on. Yahoo.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

That did it? Great! I guess I don't understand why Windows sometimes reinstalls the exact same device, sometimes 100's of times, until it itself can't keep track of all the USB devices any more.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/987079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice