1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB flash drive keeps giving error removed messages

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gameman, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have a Toshiba USB flash drive. I have a problem when I using it on a win2000 sysem. It keeps poping up a warnning message saying I removed the drive. And then "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". But it is just a standard drive so that does not make sense. Other USB drives have the same issue. I can sometimes get them to work for a bit before this happens. It is almost like I removed it. It also will just do this at random. It is working pops up the warning, then not, wait a few minutes and it is working and conencted again. I tried another ports and same issue. Other USB devices work fine though. The drives in question work fine on another machine.

Any ideas?

-GM

2. Dan O

Dan O

USB on Windows 2000 and older PCs is not reliable. I recommend using a network connection or a CD if you need to transfer data.

3. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Actually I doubt that. I have had many USB devices over the years that worked fine on various systems. I never had a relibality issue. Even back with windows 98 lol. All other USB devices I have work fine with the system in question (which is 4 years old btw). Upon calling Toshiba they brought up a interesting thought. Flash drives are HIGH power compared to all my other USB devices and that is probably the issue. Which makes sense. I am going to get a external powered hub and see if that fixes the issue.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Is the problem device a USB stick or an actual small Hard Disk Drive (HDD) that connects to a USB socket on the PC ?

I ask 'cos USB sticks don't use a lot of power but drives could.

5. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

USB 2.0 2gig flash "stick" drive. Some drives can take more power than others, but I agree that a self-powered HDD would take a LOT more. I have used a external powered USB HDD without any issues on the system in question though.

6. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

I realize this is a long over due post but better late than never right? I got a external powered USB hub with 4 ports and it solved my issue. The problem was a lack of power to the USB port. I had this problem for MONTHS and drove me crazy. Everything else worked but all my other USB items apparently use a lot less power than this USB drive. Anyway just wanted to post this so that it might help others in the future.

-GM

7. Dan O

Dan O

Thanks for sharing the fix. It may help someone else, which is what this forum is about. I will mark your thread solved.

Have a great weekend.

8. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Welcome, and thanks for marking it solved, I had tried to before but for some reason I didn't have that as a option. Hmm and now I have a "mark unsolved" button when I didn't have anything before...internet hicup? Anyway great fourm and it is a pleasure to be fellow member of this comunity.

-GM

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice