1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB Flash Drive Won't Format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by electrix, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. electrix

electrix Thread Starter

I plug it in, click on it, and it says it needs to be formatted and asks if I'd like to do it now. I click yes, start, ok, and then an error message: Windows was unable to complete the format. I tried going into disk management to format the drive; no luck. Couldn't even find an option to format the drive. I've read through some other threads posing similar problems but couldn't find anything useful. At this point, am I out a USB Flash Drive or is there anything I can do to make it usable again? The files on the drive are unimportant; they can be sacrificed.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In Disk Management, right click on the drive, you'll see the format option.

3. electrix

electrix Thread Starter

There is no option in disk management for formatting the drive.

4. JohnWill

Sorry, I'm not buying that. Let's see a screen shot of Disk Management after you right click on the graphic of the drive in question.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to TSG, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

5. electrix

electrix Thread Starter

Okay, here it is. Am I in the wrong place?

Attached Files:

6. JohnWill

Are you right clicking in the right hand graphic that's under the drop-down? It appears you clicked on the left hand description, that won't work.

Here's what I see when I click where I'm talking about. Note that there is a format option. :)

Attached Files:

• dm.jpg
      dm.jpg
      File size:
      30.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Covered up in screen print is a removable disk E that is 3.78 gb...isn't that the flash drive?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

9. JohnWill

Yep, and the black seems to indicate it's not formatted.

10. electrix

electrix Thread Starter

Had to partition it. Thanks!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594820