1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB HDD not working correctly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Severcool, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Severcool

Severcool Thread Starter

OK here's the skinny:

I am using XP Pro w/ SP3. I have a laptop HDD connected to a USB hub via a PATA to USB cable. The OS reads the drive as a USB device. However I can't get it to give me a drive letter so I can transfer files off of the HDD. I have looked in Disk Management and it is not listed as a drive there. AND it is not an issue of drive letters, drive letter E, F, and G are all available.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

How is the drive powered?

3. Severcool

Severcool Thread Starter

Right now it is using the power over the USB cable. I have tried it using an AC adapter as well that came with the PATA to USB cable, but it doesn't make a difference.

4. Severcool

Severcool Thread Starter

Do you know if there is a USB cache that I might need to clear or something? I use this method all the time but only certain drives seem to fail.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

The USB cable is a pretty poor way to power a drive, especially one that was internal and may require more power then USB can supply. The AC adapter is a better idea.

Does the device show up under your USB devices in Device Manager? Is there a tray icon for it?

6. Severcool

Severcool Thread Starter

I have added the AC power to it and reconnected. There is an icon for it in the system tray (USB Mass Storage Device), when I double click on the icon it even recognizes the exact make and model of the HDD: Toshiba MK4025GAS USB Device. But there is no drive letter.

Yes it is listed as a USB Mass Storage Device in Device Manager.

7. Severcool

Severcool Thread Starter

Yea!!!! I figured it out.

There was a drive lock password. I took the password off and it works.
    \
    Thanks for the help!

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

LOL. Thanks for following up.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice