1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB Keyboard & P/S mouse problems after upgrade from ME to Win2K

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KC_AT, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KC_AT

KC_AT Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently upgraded my compaq perserio from WinME to W2K Pro and the compaq USB keyboard and P/s2 mouse are driving me nuts. When I get the keyboard to work the mouse doesn't work and when I delete all the keyboard drivers/devices and reboot, the mouse will work but the keyboard will not. The keyboard is USB but the mouse plugs into the P/S2 mouse port. When the mouse driver/device loads it does it multiple times in the device manager ( I've attached a picture of the device manager). Please take a look at it and help me if you can, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. junker39

junker39

What model Presario?

3. KC_AT

KC_AT Thread Starter

I have a Presario 5000 with a intel P-III Processor. By the way, the mouse and keyboard works in safe mode.

4. KC_AT

KC_AT Thread Starter

Re-posting, just wondering if anybody can help me with this? Thanks

5. Machiel

Machiel

Hello,

I have the exact same problem.
    The quickest solution is using a USB instead of an ps/2 mouse. If you have the luxury of the extra usb port though. Trying this gave me the problem of not being able to use the printer since I have only 2 USB ports.
    Nevertheless using a USB mouse & keyboard works.
    The problem lies in the fa ct that windows 2000 changes somekind of lowlevel system setteing when installing the HID device (this happens when it installs the USB keyboard). Apperently it changes the devicetype or number for the mouse (also a Human INterface Device but apperently of a different type)
    The solution had to do with starting the emergency recovery console and reinstalling this single device and then changing the registry value for either the mouse or the HID).
    If this sounds vague its because I found the solution on the microsoft site but was to lazy to implement it (because of using usb mouse now). Since I now cannot use my keyboard, mouse and printer at the same time. I have started looking for the help FAQ again. Cant remember the text unfortunately it was to specific in the details.
    This though may help you on your search for the solution on the microsoft tech site.
    If I find it again :confused: I will post the url. If u do or already have. plse do the same.

Regards Machiel.

[email protected]

6. norton850

norton850

A USB hub will allow for the use of more than two USB devices.

7. Machiel

Machiel

Norton, 850,

Do you mean that if I purchase an USB hub that I could also connect my printer?
    This 2ould be true. But I have no money to spend on this at the moment.
    Besides, the actual problem lies in the fact that windows 2000 makes a faulty assignment somewhere. The challenge lies in solving/correcting it. Not circumventing. I have to admit, but I already did that, that this was my first solution. It is rather silly though that the special purpose PS/2 mouse connector cannot be used after installing an USB device. :eek:
    If this is not what you were trying to say. I beg your pardon and please be more specific.

Regards,

Machiel

8. norton850

norton850

Machiel

I was only commenting on the fact that if your solution works for you and you already own the USB mouse it makes sense to "circumvent" the problem and buy a cheap USB hub so that you can attach all 3 devices conveniently.
    Here's a whole page of them.

USB hub

Whether this will solve KC AT's problem also we don't know and maybe someone will have the "elegant" solution.

9. Machiel

Machiel

Dear Sir (presuming the Sir part),

Thank you for your reply.
    You are absolutely right afcourse.
    Nevertheless, even the cheap circumvention is, financially, out of my reach at the present.
    Also, I was stunned to have actually dicscovered what the problem was and the amount of work neccesary to correct it, who ever used the emergency recovery console (speaking for myself here), and disgusted that I lost the URL to the solution, especially since it would allow me to help another poor soul.

Nevertheless, and again, thank you.

P.s. any donations to the Save-machiel-and-help-him-buy-the-HUB foundation are afcourse welcome.

Regards, Machiel

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/300091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice