Solved: USB Laptop external drive issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

treehstn

Hi,

I have a Vantec NexStar NST-250U2 external drive enclosure that connects a laptop harddisk to a computer using USB. I had a drive that I deleted a partition on and needed to recover some of the data. The drive was working fine when I put it in the external enclosure. It booted right up and was viewable in windows explorer. I found the files I needed and copied them to another computer. Then I took the drive out of the external enclosure and put it back in the laptop that it came out of. The laptop will not recognize the drive. It won't get through post. When I look in the bios it does not recognize any hard drive. I took the drive back out twice and remounted it. Still the same thing. Any chance that the external drive enclosure might have toasted the drive??

Thanks!

Cheryl

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Extremely unlikely provided you used the Safely Remove icon in the Task Tray.
Try it back in the enclosure???

treehstn

Ok.. I just tried it in the usb external drive again. It isn't working. The green light says it's working on the external drive but the computer isn't even recognizing that there is a USB device attached. There are no errors or flags in device manager either.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online