1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB Laser Scanner help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by depcdivr, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. depcdivr

depcdivr It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

I have a question. I just purchased a new hand laser scanner that connects to a computer via a USB port. The UsB port does power the scanner and the scanner does read barcodes but I do not know how to actually input the data from the scanner into say excel or word. When it reads the barcode nothing happens.

All of the help files that I have read say that the scanner is supposed to connect to the same port as the keyboard using a "Y" adaptor. I can understand why this works but I am using this on a laptop where the keyboard is built in and can not use that "Y" adaptor.

I looked through the device manager and can not seem to find the scanner on there. Windows does not ask to install new hardware nor does it recognize the hardware when it gets plugged in.

Some system information

OS Windows 7
    Scanner Netum LS-1698
    office 2003

Please let me know if there is anything else that you need to know in order to assist getting this running. Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Y adapter is generally only for older PS2 port style scanners, for USB they can simply plug into a USB port and thats all. In Device Manager the scanner should likely show up under the Human Interface Devices (HID) section.

To input the barcodes it reads, simply open any document editor such as Word, Excel, Notepad or pretty much anything that takes keyboard input, make sure the you click into the document or field where you want it to input the data and scan in the barcode and it should appear. Make sure that the scanner is configured to read the type of bar code you are using with it, it may need some programming if its not a standard bar code.

As always, if you cannot get it to work on this computer, try it on another computer.

3. depcdivr

depcdivr It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Turns out that the barcodes that I was scanning were not supported by the scanner. They were in the manual and I thought they were test barcodes but I could not be sure since the manual was in chinese. Once I downloaded an appropriate barcode it worked like a champ. Thanks for the assistance.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad you got it sorted out (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1062034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice