1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB memory stick not recognised on laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by reggied, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reggied

reggied Thread Starter

Hi,

I have 3 USB ports on my new Toshibal laptop running on W8.

It will not recognise any memory stick in any port even tho; the stick will read on my desktop running on XP.

Any help appreciated.

Reggie D

2. Sponsor

3. CleaverX

CleaverX

Is this issue with a specific flash drive or with any flash drives?

4. reggied

reggied Thread Starter

Hi,
    Thx prompt response.
    It is with any flash drive. Even my 1TB usb hard drive. The only way I can transfer anything to the laptop is by email or CD! The Toshiba website is far too difficult to get help on for this oldie still trying to master W8!
    Rgds
    Reggie D.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

Check in Device Manager to see if the USB drivers are not installed. But, regardless of the reason, you're entitled to warranty service on a new machine.

6. CleaverX

CleaverX

So when you say that it does not recognize any flash drive or USB drives, you are saying that when you plug those in, nothing at all happens? Also check the Device Manager for any yellow triangles for the USB controller

7. reggied

reggied Thread Starter

Hi,
    Thx, I'll check. Meanwhile I can't find a contact number for warranty claim if I need it. I seems to be deviously hidden. I registered the laptop at time of purchase in June.
    Thx yr help
    Reggie D

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

9. reggied

reggied Thread Starter

Hi Terrynet in Canada,
    Thx yr perseverance.

Yes, perhaps I've had the problem from day 1as I have only just tried to use the ports as my limited time on the laptop has been getting my head around W8 and installing MS Office, AOL, etc., so most of my laptop work has gravitated towards my 10yo ACER with the familiar XP Pro.

I agree that the link you provide is easy to find; the problem is navigation. The site doesn't appear to be applicable to the UK and I cannot navigate to a relevant page. Yesteday I spent hours looking for a contact to f/u my 1 yr european warranty without success, The warranty confirmation they emailed to me gives no clues! Forgive my octogenarian cynicism, but it's as if Toshiba make this info. so hard to find that most people give up in frustration.
    Nevertheless, I'm sure that there is a simple fix; but I would have expected W8 to recognise any USB perpheral and at least communicate with me as XP Pro does on my desktop.

I don't think I have a faulty laptop, but I'll keep my powder dry on that one.

Kind regards
    Reggie D.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

The "IL" after "Ottawa" is for the state of Illinois in USA. :)

Didn't know you are in UK. And, by the way, I too find the Toshiba sites to be not among the best (which is one reason I doubt I'll ever own a Toshiba computer). Anyhow ...

If you'd like to start with a "chat" with Toshiba support try this page. With other products I have found that to be a good place to start--either very helpful or very quickly proves to be a waste of effort.

Or, hover your mouse pointer over "Services & Support" and click on "Contact" under "Computer Support." Then in the lower right click on "Contact Us" in the "Contact Toshiba" section. Bottom left there is a phone number--don't know if it is toll free. I failed to find anything else other than the opportunity to "chat" with somebody with what sounds to me like a British accent. I'm now worn out; may have to take a nap before my daily walk.

Sounds no worse than my septuagenarian cynicism. :D

Have you checked in Device Manager for the USB ports and for any warnings or errors?

11. reggied

reggied Thread Starter

Hi,
    Good morning.
    Sorry about the Canuck error. Knowing how some mid west folk feel about their near neighbor, my apologies. Know yr part of the world quite well so I should have noticed.

Your first clue about Device Mgr led to the solution. Once I'd gone through the W8 maze to find it. ( Win.x). I uninstalled the USB controllers and rebooted the ports woke up!

Your teach in on finding Tosh. support I'll keep just in case. Many thx.

Reggie D.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

You're welcome. :)

By the way, if you are still struggling to find your way around Windows 8/8.1 you may find helpful my tutorial thread at the top of this forum: Windows 8.1 Tutorial.

13. reggied

reggied Thread Starter

Hi Terry,

Th'ks for the tutorial link. I'll go there.

I've mastered all the Windows 'editions' from the start so I won't be beaten!

Rgds
    Reggie D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!