1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB Over Current Status Detected, Computer will shut down in 15 seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fatfil, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fatfil

Fatfil Thread Starter

I have seen a lot of similar threads to his on the web, but none seem to have the same set of circumstances as me, please help!
    My problems started after a windows update which required me to restart my system. Now it barely boots up before showing a message USB Over Current Status Detected, Computer will shut down in 15 seconds.

I have tried unplugging all the USB devices to no avail. I am unable to boot into BIOS using Tab or delete as instructed on the opening screen, it just boots a little further before coming up with the same message.

I have not opened the case or connected any new devices so I am pretty sure it's something to do with the upgrade.

How can I correct this when I can'teven boot into Bios?

I am running Windows XP SP3, the computer is not home built, but a generic box bought on-line which has been running good as gold for the past 18 months. Thanks:confused:

2. CJS23

CJS23

After doing some Googling, the common consensus is that you may have a short circuit somewhere.

Personally, I would remove the cover and check all cables.

Ensure the motherboard is not in direct contact with the case.

Also, give it a (gentle) shake and ensure there are no loose screws roling around inside your case.

3. Fatfil

Fatfil Thread Starter

Thanks for your response, last night I managed to find and download the motherboard manuel from the ASUS site and do some faulting. I had one USB port on the front of the chassis which was connected vis a ribbon cable to the MB. When I disconnected this the computer came up okay, so there is obviously a fault in either the port itself or the cable. Either way, I've left it disconnected and still have 4 ports to use. Why it should have gone suddenly faulty I don't know. Anway, Thanks again. Phil T. :)

4. CJS23

CJS23

No worries don't forget to mark as solved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/799895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice