1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Usb pen drives

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by 1_rob_1, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

HI.
    I have recently upgraded my old compaq nx6325 lappy from windows 7 to windows 8. (clean install)
    It no longer recognises most flash drives. I have tried a few kingston flash drives of different sizes, an integral 512mb, & a peak 8gig. - - - These drives worked fine on this pc when it was running windows 7. - - There are no problems with any of these drives as they run ok on other computers.
    The only drive recognised is the peak.
    All the usb ports on the lappy are giving this problem.
    The peak flash drive & my mouse work fine in all ports.
    All the drives are recognised using linux.
    I have uninstalled/reinstalled all the usb ports in device manager.
    I have the latest bios installed.
    No hp drivers are available for this pc for windows 8, but everything was recognised on installation apart from the card reader, the video card & the sm bus. These were installed using vista drivers.

BTW: these drives work ok on another pc running windows 8 :confused:

How can I get this lappy to recognise all flash drives (again) ?

Thanks for any replies.

This is the error given: The last usb device you connected to this computer malfunctioned & windows did not recognise it.

Rob

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What is shown in device manager please, when you connect one of the drives that is NOT recognised.

Without the ability to find windows 8 drivers on the hp site you may just struggle, do you know the make of the motherboard in the computer

On one of the drives that is NOT recognised, connect to another computer and format it FAT32 not NTFS
    it will take sometime but do a full format not a quick.

Then shut down the Compaq, insert the KIngston that you have formatted and try on boot

That all said, unless I have the wrong computer, which I do not think I have there are NOT even Windows 7 drivers listed, for that Compaq
    HP Compaq nx6325 Notebook PC
    as far as I see it lists 2000, then XP and Vista
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...eId=321957&prodSeriesId=1849082&lang=en&cc=us

The fact that the drives work OK on another computer running Windows 8, but not on this one, is indicative of the inescapable evidence that the chipset drivers, and other firmware on the computer is unsuitable for Windows 8.

Apart from searching for hours to see if you can find any drivers any where, going device manager, and seeing if by chance a - allow search on web, will find updated drivers for the USB hubs in device manager etc., this is a no win situation, as even if you manage that, I feel reasonably certain that, you will quickly establish other problems exist.

I hope you do not consider the above unhelpful, but you just cannot install 8 and expect all to work on that computer.
    I wish you the best of luck and if you manage to get all working not just the USB, you are doing well

I thought I would include for you a screenshot which shows why I refer to chipset drivers

Attached Files:

3. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for your reply.

My flash drives are all formatted with fat32
    Yes you have the right pc, some of the hp vista drivers worked with windows 7, the video driver was found elsewhere, So everything worked fine in windows 7 even though the hardware was not supported, so since windows 8 is very similar under the hood as windows 7, I thought that the odds were that there would be no major probs.

I have managed to get everything else running fine, & all other devices are recognised correctly, as is all my installed software. The pc has been running for a few weeks now with no issues whatsoever. - - - theres just this usb issue.

I would have thought that the chipset drivers would run most flash drives, especially kingston, it seems strange to me that it recognises a more obscure brand.

Device manager shows an unknown device with an exclamation mark & cant find any drivers online for it.

Rob

4. Macboatmaster

Uninstall that unknown device, in device manager - right click

disconnect all usb devices

reboot, with the formatted flash pen in the Compaq (I do recommend a full format of the flash pen, not a quick one)

then go control panel
    admin tools
    computer management
    disk management
    Is it seen there please

5. Rtwigg

Rtwigg

My Windows 8 PC will only recognize one USB device at a time. Four different thumb drives and three different hard drives (USB) all work if they are they only one attached. Driver updates do not help. Any ideas?

6. Macboatmaster

Rtwigg

Start your own topic please, otherwise if 1_rob_1 wishes to continue, it all becomes totally confusing.
    From our Welcome guide
    http://www.techguy.org/welcome.html

7. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Hi, thanks again for your reply.
    I have tried uninstalling the unknown device, & rebooting, With one of the drives newly formatted with fat32 I get the same error.
    I have also tried the same with all the usb ports uninstalled through device manager - same result.
    No unrecognised flash drives show up in disk management - or in the safely remove hardware button.
    I also read about someone else with a similar prob, but none of their flash drives were recognised, they installed the ati catalyst control centre, which fixed the issue - not in my case though.
    I thought that this prob may be something & nothing because some usb drives are recognised, so the pc is actually able to detect & run certain drives. I also have a couple of 2 1/2in external usb drives, & these work with this pc.
    This prob is all quite baffling to me, as I know a lot about computers & this kind of behavior doesnt seem right.

Rob

8. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Sorted!!!!!!!
    I have just downloaded/installed the latest updates from Windows update & all my flash drives now work.

Thats everything now working correctly on my 7 year old lappy. :)

(y) Thanks for your time & replies (y)

Rob

9. Macboatmaster

Great news
    Pleased it sorted and thanks for posting the result
    Wonder if those updates inclucded any for hardware, amongst the custom updates
    If so it may be that it was

Either way you did well.
    Regards

10. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

There were no hardware updates - just software as listed below. - none of them seem relevant to the problem.
    At least Microsoft are actively "fixing" the faults with their operating systems. :)

Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2812822)

Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2781197)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2809289)

Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2811660)

Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2824670)

Security Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2807986)

11. Macboatmaster

Could just be connected
    Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2811660)

Issues that this update fixes

This update package resolves the following issues:
    • Improves reliability of USB 3.0 device initialization.
    albeit usb3

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!