1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB port driver?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HolyAtheist, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HolyAtheist

HolyAtheist Thread Starter

So I took my laptop with a brand new hard drive to a pc repair shop for them to install all the drivers and utilities for me.But it seems they forgot a few. So I have this external hard drive that works perfectly on other computers. But with mine I have trouble getting the external hard drive to copy over files without freezing on me. So what I am wondering is if they have forgotten another driver to install on my laptopor could it be another problem?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did the drive ever work on this laptop? Does the drive have its own power source that plugs into an outlet or does it just connect to the laptop? If just to the laptop does the drive have a Y USB cable that connects to two USB ports or just a single USB connection? Some computers simply don't put out enough power over a single USB port to power some drives that do not have their own power source.

You can try installing this driver: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers...rFileFormats?DriverId=C158V&FileId=2731091142

3. HolyAtheist

Yes the drive worked perfectly. Actually before I swapped the internal hard drive, I moved data from the old hard drive to the external, worked fine. And the drive connects to the laptop via a USB port

I'll give that link a try and see if that solves my problem. Thank you sir/madam

4. HolyAtheist

Didnt help much, sorry. Hard drive still freezes when transfering large amounts of data. On smaller amounts works fine

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. HolyAtheist

Yes, with both plugged in. Could it be possible for the drive to be corrupted? I was using the drive before to create a system image when it got a error and I think the drive got corrupted. Used to have 120gb of space, now only 14.3gb while being empty.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh, yes that would definitely indicate a problem. But you said it worked OK on other computers...can you copy all the data off on another computer?

8. HolyAtheist

It worked recently when copying some files from another laptop to the drive. Im going to give this another test

9. HolyAtheist

Well, tried transfering data from another laptop. Doesnt work either. Looks like its corrupted. Thanks for the help anyways.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You might be able to recover the drive, you may want to test with the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics, then wipe it and redo the partition.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice