Solved: USB Port on Mobo can only take one device

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BritishMalayan

Hi,

My motherboard is the ASRock Wolfdale1333-D667. I have a Gigabyte X1650 PCI-E, Creative SB Live PCI and Hauppauage WINTV FM cards attached to it. My HDD is a Seagate 160GB, with a single 2GB RAM stick and the Intel Dual Core E2160 CPU. I have a DVD-RW drive and two fans mounted inside the case (one at the bottom front to suck in air, one at the rear blowing out). All these are powered by a 420W PSU.

My problem is that it cannot seem to support more than one USB device for long. The Mobo has a total of eight USB ports (6 at the rear, two at the front panel; two at the back have been mentioned in the manual that they won't work if the front ones are used). I connect to the Internet using a USB wireless modem, and if I wish to remain connected to the Internet, I must not plug in any other USB device into any of the remaining free ports. If I do, both items will either continuously connect and reconnect itself (the notification bubbles pop up incessantly) with the result I cannot use either, or both will disconnect once, reconnect and Windows makes noise about the device not being recognised or has malfunctioned. Sometimes it will totally disconnect one device and Windows makes noise about how the other device can perform faster. At first I thought it may have to do with the modem drawing too much current (it feels hot to the touch), but same thing happens when I plug in two USB flash drives. When I connect my HP D2460 USB printer, it's even worse. Even with that printer being the only device connected, it will totally disconnect itself after a few minutes, often while in the middle of a printing job. You can imagine how annoying this all is. The printer is independently powered.

My only hunch as to the cause of this problem at the moment is an insufficient PSU.
What do you think?

Any ideas?

Dude/Dudette....totally need more power. From what I understand from your post: you have 3 expansion cards AND 3 fans (this includes your CPU fan). I would get at least a 600W PSU. You might as well go for a 1000W, they are not that expensive. Check out TigerDirect.com, I do some shopping there for my company. They usually have good quality and the lowest prices.

(6 at the rear, two at the front panel; two at the back have been mentioned in the manual that they won't work if the front ones are used).
While you may need a better power supply, the fact the manual mentions that two of the back USB ports won't work if the front USB ports are used would indicate to me that the motherboard has lousy +5v circuitry.

Although you can install a new power supply with more amps on the +5v rail, if the board circuitry is limited, then the new power supply won't really help you with your problem.

BritishMalayan

While you may need a better power supply, the fact the manual mentions that two of the back USB ports won't work if the front USB ports are used would indicate to me that the motherboard has lousy +5v circuitry.

Although you can install a new power supply with more amps on the +5v rail, if the board circuitry is limited, then the new power supply won't really help you with your problem.

Hi win2kpro,

Thanks for the response.

Lousy circuitry, maybe, seeing that it was a cheap motherboard, but lousy enough that I cannot have at least two USB devices? :confused: I mean, if I was plugging in a myriad of weird USB devices at the same time I can understand, but two flash drives? And a single independently powered printer?

Thanks in advance

I don't know the exact layout of your board, however the motherboard header for the front USB ports generally have 2 connections (a total of 4 pins on the header that are used) two-+5v, (one for each front port) two D+ (one for each front port), two D- (one for each front port) and two grounds (one for each front port).

Normally, the rear USB ports are physically part of the motherboard, and the front USB ports operate from a separate USB header located on the motherboard.

On the machine I am presently using (Intel D875PBZ motherboard) I have 6 rear USB ports (physically part of the motherboard) and 2 front ports running from a USB header on the board, and have no problems using all the ports at the same time.

If you want to post a link to the board you are using I will have a look at the block diagram and see how your USB ports are set up.

If you look on PDF page 10 of the manual it appears that the USB front panel header is shared with USB 2 & 3, however, they say it is shared with USB 4 & 5. In any event sharing USB ports is a cheap way to build a board.

The only solution I could offer you other than a new board that MAY work would be to purchase an auxiliary powered USB hub so that you are not pulling all the USB power off the USB circuitry, and I really can't guarantee that would work. The only thing you could do would be to get the auxiliary powered USB, try it, and if it works OK then it would solve your problem. If the auxiliary powered USB hub doesn't solve your problem, if you purchase the item from certain sellers you may be able to return the unit and get your money back.

Since you stated you were going to replace the power supply, let us know when you replace the power supply if it solves the USB problem.

Good luck.

BritishMalayan

Thanks win2kpro - I'll buy that new PSU within the next few days and update

Thanks for your time! ;)

BTW, on your present power supply how much amperage does the sticker on the unit indicate there is available on the +5v rail?

Even with a new power supply you are still going to be limited as to how many USB ports are available. You would either have 6 rear and 0 front or 4 rear and 2 front even with a powerful power supply with plenty of amps on the +5v rail.

I am interested in this design because there may have been other instances, but I don't recall any motherboards that were wired for power sharing between 4 USB ports.

BritishMalayan

It's been almost a week since the PSU change...and no problem since then. I'll mark the thread as solved then.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online