1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] USB Port Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ed Sailer, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ed Sailer

Ed Sailer Thread Starter

I have an FIC Mobo with a AMD 550 CPU. I'm running Windows 98SE. The Device Manager says that my USB Port is operating fine. When I go to attach something like my ZIO Card device for my digital camera, sometimes it shows up as an aditional drive and sometmes not, when it shows, it is properly labeled, but does not operate or open when I insert my smartmedia card. On another computer I have it works fine. I then went to Comp USA and bought a Lucent USB card to give me 4 aditional USB ports. Windows found the PCI card and loaded the drivers properly. Still no USB device seems to work, even though the device drivers load ok. Any suggestions?
    Oh, awhile back I did have this computer crash when I attached a Kangeroo USB port extender. I guess I should have plugged it in with my computer off, but the instructions said just plug it in to the USB port and enjoy 3 more ports. Everything else works fine on this computer.

2. Hairy

Hairy

has usb ever worked right?

checked for newer motherboard drivers?...or BIOS?

as for the USB card.....you installed the proper drivers (not Windows default)?

3. Ed Sailer

Ed Sailer Thread Starter

In the beginning when I installed the ZIO card software, the drive showed on "My Computer", but I never tried downloading any phots. When I did, I got the message that the device was not ready. When I installed the Lucent USB card, the instructions said to let windows 98 install the drivers, which it did. This Mobo is a 1998 vintage. Their is a new BIOS for this MOBO, do you think I should upgrade to it? I've never installed a BIOS before and could use some guidance.

4. Hairy

Hairy

i would only update the BIOS if it specifically fixes something that doesn't work now
    Any info from the update on what it's for?

looked for motherboard and or usb card drivers?

Since it doesn't work at all, you have nothing to lose by booting up in safe mode and removing all usb stuff listed in device manager, then let Windows reinstall it all when you restart.

5. Ed Sailer

Ed Sailer Thread Starter

I went to the FIC website and found a BIOS update. It did not say that it fixed anything, it only said "new version". My motherboard PA2013 came with a VIA driver for the Athlon 550 CPU and the USB ports. When I installed Win 98SE, I only had to install the CPU drivers, because Windows installed the USB stuff successfully.
    I also took your suggestion and booted up in the safe mode and removed all USB stuff. Then when I rebooted, Windows reinstalled the drivers for the existing USB hub on the motherboard as well as the ones for the 4 new usb ports located on the PCI card I purchased. None of the USB ports work when I attach the hardware to them, even though at the Device Manager, it says that all the USB hubs are working properly.
    Do you think I may have damaged the mother board when I crashed during inserting the USB extender I purchased from the Kangeroo Co?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You might take a look in the bios setup, to be sure USB support is set to ENABLED there......

7. Ed Sailer

Ed Sailer Thread Starter

Yeah, I checked the CMOS menu, and the USB port is enabled. Would appreciate any suggestions. I would try installing the new BIOS but I have never done this before and the instructions to me are a bit vague especially around how to save the old BIOS. It says to write the BIOS name when savings and I sure don't know what the old BIOS is called. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

8. Hairy

Hairy

9. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

Ed,

I had some usb devices that worked and some would not till I updated the Windows ASPI drivers.

One other thing you might try, is downloading aspi_471.exe with the ASPICHK version checking utility,

Unzip it and run the ASPICHK version checking utility, but don't install the driver till you see which driver version you have.
    Found Here

10. Ed Sailer

Ed Sailer Thread Starter

I updated to the latest BIOS for my motherboard. The USB devices still do not work. I checked into Hairy's suggestion and found that Microsofts says that if I have an AMD Processor faster than 350 MHZ or a VIA driver for my USB port, that the USB ports will not function under Windows 98SE. I have all three of these conditions.
    VirtualMe suggests that I update my ASPI drivers. Could you give me a little more info on how and why this must be done in light of Microsoft saying its hopeless.

11. Hairy

Hairy

12. Ed Sailer

Ed Sailer Thread Starter

Hairy
    I down loaded the file you suggested. Since it was a *.exe file I double clicked and let it do its thing. It didn't hurt or help my situation.

Virtualme
    I downloaded the file suggested by you and unzipped it. It had a Setup file and a executable file. I opened the Setup file and it loaded something. It didn't hurt or seem to help the situation any. I didn't see any checking utility in the unzipped files. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

13. ~Candy~

Can you post your IRQ listing?

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok....go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste in your reply.

14. Ed Sailer

Ed Sailer Thread Starter

Here is a copy of my IRQ listing.
    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 (free)
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 Sound Blaster AudioPCI
    9 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
    9 VIA VT83C572/VT82C586 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    10 Internal Fax Data Voice Plug and Play 56K
    11 Lucent USB Open Host Controller
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    12 OpticalMouse2 (PS/2)
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

15. ~Candy~

9 Sound Blaster AudioPCI
    9 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
    9 VIA VT83C572/VT82C586 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

Not sure if this could be the problem......I certainly don't like that combination.........

I'm wondering if you can pull the add in USB card so we can work on just the other one? Is anything connected to the serial ports?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice