1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB ports exceeds power limits problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by iagoman, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iagoman

iagoman Steve Thread Starter

I have been using a my FireLite (Model USBFL840) for a few years on my Toshiba Satellite P25 S526. In the past few months when I connect the
    firelite to my computer, I get a message that states „the USB mass Storage Device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port.“

At that moment, the only option is to unplug the device and reset the port.

I have 4 high speed USB ports and I’ve tried it on all of them with the same results.

I also use the same unit on another Toshiba Satellite which is a few years older, has the slower ports and have no difficulties.
    When using this device for backups, I have no other ports connected or in use. The odd thing was that this used to work fine.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What is a FireLite USBFL840? If this is a USB connected drive, you may need a Y connected USB cable to sip power from two ports on the machine. I have three 2.5" USB drives, and two of them require a dual connection to function, one manages on most machines to fire up with a single connection.

3. iagoman

The Firelite is a 40gb hard drive, about the size of a deck of cards with only 26 cards.
    It's great for backing up, or just as additional storage space.
    I will try your suggestion about using the Y connector...great idea!
    I'll let you know if it worked.
    Thanks.

4. JohnWill

They may be somewhat difficult to locate, but most 2.5" hard disks ship with them nowadays, because even it it works on some USB ports, it's marginal.

5. iagoman

Finally got mthe answer. Had to purchase a device from the manufacturer that is an additional power. It was made specifically for the FireLite drive. It works..$50.00.

6. JohnWill

Ouch! That's pretty expensive for an $8 wall wart! :D

7. iagoman

Yes it was expensive, BUT my wife is HAPPY and that's worth the money.
    Please mark this as "solved". Thanks

8. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen. :)

This one's a freebee, I'll mark it for you. :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/392613