Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: USB Ports Not detecting devices...Please Help!!

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Techknow 
#1 ·
Hi all, it's friday the 13th and on cue i have another weird one :D i have a PC that does not detect any USB device connected to it though i know power runs through since it can charge my cell phone. here is what i have so far: 1. WinXP home SP2, P4 2.63Ghz, Gigabyte 81845GVM-RZ, 256 DDR400. 2. have uninstalled all usb root hubs and rebooted 3. 2 ports at the front of the case and 2 at the rear, plus (here's the punchline) 2 ports from a PCI add on card. NONE of them work. 4. USB controller is enabled in BIOS. 5. while my cell phone charges blissfully, the power tab of all root hub properties still shows 0mA 6. i've tried clearing CMOS 7. i've done a repair (NOT full/format) installation of the OS 8. to try and isolate the issue, i've tried booting from miniPE (a WinPE variation) while a USB flash drive was plugged in, it's worked for me before, nogo here either. what have i missed? not sure about changes made to the system prior to this since it's someone elses and they can't say for sure either. i'd settle for it being a mobo issue and recommend they trash it, but an add on card too? please help guys, you've saved my posterior before, so i'm counting on you. thanks.

#2 ·
Try this fix by JohnWill

Johnwill's solution

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

#3 ·
sorry couldn't get back earlier. i tried your fix but no cigar, thanks though. the owner gave me the go ahead to format/reinstall the OS anyway since it was really cluttered (hadn't been formatted since it came from the vendor 6yrs ago...amazing!!). so even after a fresh installation of windows SP3 the ports didn't work. makes me believe it's a hardware issue, even though an addon USB HUB card it had also didn't work (IRQ issues? it worked fine before). didn't get the chance to flash it's bios since he took it back, but if anyone can shed some light on how this can happen, i'd be grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.