1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB ports stopped working on desktop PC

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by YoyoJo, Dec 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. YoyoJo

YoyoJo Thread Starter

Desperate for help &/or advice...can I fix this myself, or do I need to take it to my computer guy? Desktop is what I use to make my income.

Problem-
    No working mouse or keyboard (or audio or internet connection, according to tray icons) on startup one morning recently.
    Night before, I was teaching myself how to manually download last update to IOS7 for iPhone 4S (I don't want IOS8 on a 4S) and kick it out of reset mode but it required java to complete. This PC has never accepted java without small problems so I usually don't use it. Plus it's the only PC I've ever owned that I can't do a system restore on.
    So I intended to download java, fix the phone & then delete java. But during the process a PC restart was required so I risked it & everything was fine. But when it became really late & I was too tired to continue, I shut down the PC as usual overnight, intending to give it a try in the am.
    Next morning the PC seemed to be working fine, only anything connected by USB didn't work.

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated as I work freelance, so while the expense of the computer guy at this time of year isn't great, I just need to do something to get it working again as soon as I can. I'm completely stumped on where to even start when I can't press a key or click the mouse to even find what's wrong. ...not to mention not having my phone working either.

Desktop-
    Dell Inspiron 560 (bought second hand)
    Intel Core2Duo E5400: 2.7Ghz; 4Gb RAM; 500 GB hard drive.
    Using (of course) Windows 7

Thanks ever so much.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try the mouse on all the USB ports. Sometimes the rear ones work when the front do not and vice versa.

I assume that you have tested the mouse and keyboard on another computer to make sure that they are working.

3. YoyoJo

YoyoJo Thread Starter

TerryNet,
    Thanks very much, it's always good to be reminded of those basic things just in case, in panic, I overlook them but unfortunately yes, I've tried replacing batteries, borrowed a friend's plug in mouse & checked back to front and front to back. I haven't checked the keyboard & mouse to another desktop as it seems most people don't even own one these days...everyone has laptops only...but they aren't the same brand, let alone part of a package, plus I plugged in my old iPod shuffle but nothing there either.
    Do you know...is it true that most PC problems can be fixed within an hour by a professional please? Just considering cost per hour as my regular fellow seems to disappear for 3 months at this time of year.
    Thanks again for your trouble...what would you do in my place, if you don't mind my asking?
    Kindest regards,

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That plus the other symptoms pretty much proves that the problem is with the ports.

Given that I became very non-interested in desktops years ago what I would do (recyle the beast the next time the county has an electronics recycling event) is not helpful to you. My suggestion is to see if a reliable shop can determine if the problem is "only" the USB or is a bigger (motherboard) problem and an estimate for repairing it. If it's motherboard then your better choice is probably a new or refurbished PC.

5. valis

valis Moderator

you can try the below, it was written by a former moderator here, but was written for Windows XP. I don't know that it will work on windows 7 but it's worth a shot.

6. YoyoJo

YoyoJo Thread Starter

TerryNet,
    Again, thanks ever so much; I understand what you mean about desktops being rather bulky & yesterday's technology, but because I edit for a living, the big screen and separate keyboard is just what the doctor ordered for such work so I will persist with my tower, or another; whichever way this goes.
    In fact, something you said reminded me that even though I bought the tower in a moment of desperation from a thief, I did have electrical trouble around the time, but not exactly when, I lost all the ports...so I'll give it one more go with a fix someone has kindly offered before forking out for a reputable repair.
    My small tablet dislikes the unbearable humidity & heat out here in Australia as much as I do at present & I just can't work on it so thank you for jogging my memory & taking the time to help. I hope something really good happens to you today.
    Cheers,

7. YoyoJo

YoyoJo Thread Starter

valid,
    Thanks for your efforts, I know how ****** & time consuming it can be to search back through old files looking for a particular thing you have in mind and I certainly appreciate it. Only I cannot try this out because without any USB ports working, I don't have the use of a mouse or keyboard.
    Sadly I think I give in, maybe this time it will take someone who has the equipment and knowledge I don't have to make my world the right side up again.
    Thanks anyway, your info is gratefully received & reminds me that this is a particularly hairy problem.
    Kindest regards,

8. YoyoJo

YoyoJo Thread Starter

Oops...sorry...I didn't think the 'sh' word for pooh was not allowed.

9. YoyoJo

YoyoJo Thread Starter

By the way, I intend to do exactly as you've suggested...thank you.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A desktop still has lots of advantages (more power for a given cost, easier to replace/upgrade components, etc.) but note, in case you come across a good deal on a laptop, that you can use a large monitor, keyboard and mouse with a laptop. The lid on one of my laptops hasn't been opened for months since I use it with a 23 inch wide screen monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse as well as a powered USB hub. For about six months I used it this way part of the day and as a laptop elsewhere in (or outside) the house at other times. Good luck with the repairs.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice