1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB ports stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by devil, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devil

devil Thread Starter

A couple of strange things happened to my laptop today.
    While i was using it the 2 USB ports suddenly stopped recognising the 2 things i had plugged into them, a mouse and an internet dongle. So i rebooted to try and solve the problem but when i did i got the BootMGR is missing message, so i used the recovery discs i have to bring it back to factory status but the USB ports still don`t work.
    I deleted the USB host controllers and rebooted, the host controllers are back but the USB ports are not working.
    Anyone know what is happening?

The laptop is,
    Toshiba Satellite c660/c660D
    Windows 7 (was ultimate but now Home Premium as recovered)
    AMD V140 Processor 2.30GHz
    2.00GB RAM
    64 bit OS.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It looks like a hardware problem, the restore would normally install the correct Usb drivers.

You can try running this, it's the chipset utility from Toshiba for your laptop, it should install Usb drivers :- http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-files2/0/csutil-20100512132816.zip
    Unzip the exe file and run it.

If that doesn't help you may have to buy a PCMCIA Usb adaptor or similar.
    Are there only 2 Usb ports on the laptop ?

3. devil

devil Thread Starter

Yeah only 2 usb ports. Don`t have the option of a PCMCIA card and i ran the utility you suggestad but i got an error message saying: This computer does not meet the minimun requirements for this software, it will now exit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1040020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice