1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB Ports stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Godart, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Godart

Godart Thread Starter

Hi

I have lost access to all the USB ports on a PC. There was no apparent crash but I realised there was a problem when the USB Mouse stopped working. Everything else is working OK. I get an Error 39 (drivers corrupted or missing) and the 2 entries in Device Manager both have yellow marks against them. I only have "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" and "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller" entries below the entry for Universal Serial Bus Controllers - no Root Hubs are there and there are no Unknown Devices anywhere else.

I was running XP Pro SP2 when the ports went, but have installed SP3 and Updated to see if that did anything - it didn't. I have tried the troubleshooting suggestions on Microsoft such as deinstalling and rebooting, updating, system restore and have done a repair installation using my original XP SP2 disc all with no result. The PC has been scanned with Kaspersky 2011 and Spybot but nothing shows up. I have done a clean-up and defrag and USB is enabled in BIOS. I've completely disconnected from the power socket (some people on forums have found that works), and checked for any issues in the Registry.

I have the original disc for the ASUS Motherboard but that won't let me install the USB driver because I have a more modern version via XP. Similarly, downloads from Microsoft just tell me a more modern version exists and that I can't overwrite them. I have another PC with XP Home, as well as a Win 7 laptop, so have done a few comparisons and the main thing I've spotted is that all the USB drivers are Stopped in the System Information\Software Environment\System Drivers window. Also, the other PC has Root Hubs in Device Manager.

I'm presuming that something has corrupted but don't know where to go from here. I'm quite confident with most PC things but don't know much about replacing individual files within the OS. I'm reluctant to reload completely if it's possible to just replace a few files.

Sorry this is a bit long but I've been trying all sorts of things. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. TekTime

TekTime

Have you tried uninstalling all USB devices in device manager; and then restarting the PC allowing Windows to reinstall the devices/drivers? Based on the troubleshooting methods that you have tried so far, it could be a long shot - in that case re-installing Windows might be required.... unless someone else has a better opinion on this one.

3. Godart

Godart Thread Starter

Yes, deinstalling and rebooting was the first thing I tried as that seemed to be the favourite in everybody's troubleshooting. I only have the 2 entries under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Since posting, I have tried using "expand" from the command prompt to reinstall the drivers from my original XP SP2 disc. That didn't work, so I'm thinking it's something more basic to the way Windows is starting up - I had already noticed that the USB drivers are all "stopped" in the software environment section of System Information.

As you say, it could mean a complete reload from scratch.

4. perfume

perfume Banned

5. Godart

Godart Thread Starter

Hi Perfume, thanks for your thoughts on this.

Yes, I am fully up to date on MS Update with SP3 and all High Priority, Hardware and Non-essential updates in place. I am also up to date with the latest version of Kaspersky 2011, Spybot S&D and all other applications loaded. Disc cleanup and defrag are regular events and I use a backup external drive - not a mirror image unfortunately.

Bob Rankin's article is, I'm afraid, too basic as I tried all these things within a few hours of the ports going. However, I did find another article of interest on his site to do with quantum computing - a bit Scientific American in places if you know what I mean!

Luckily I can still carry out most things via my home network so have the luxury of time to investigate this problem. As an electrical and communications engineer (retired for 10 years) I quite enjoy a challenge and am happy to delve into the OS if necessary. I started out with computers in 1986 by installing and maintaining a thick ethernet LAN with 286 DOS workstations and 486 servers running Ungermann Bass Net-One - none of this HDD nonsense, just boot from a floppy drive (5.5inch) and save everything to the server! Nowadays the software is so much more complex, you really have to look at it before playing too much.

Back to the drawing board.

Regards

Godart

6. itsjusme

itsjusme

I had the same problem on a machine several years ago, turned out to be chaffed wires going to the front ports. Usually the rear ports are connected directly to the motherboard, front/aux ports are usually connected to one of several usb headers on the motherboard by wire and plug in connector. What i found was the wires going to the front ports had been routed near some sharp edges of some of the sheet metal which cut through the insulation and shorted out occasionally causing an intermittent problem, none of the ports would work. You might pull the side cover off and unplug the connectors from all the usb headers on the motherboard leaving only the rear ports and see what happens, might be worth a look anyway.

7. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear Godart,
    You are a hardware wizard;)! quote " I get an Error 39 (drivers corrupted or missing)" Unquote. This is the one real error message you got! THE WINDOWS IS CORRUPTED.PERIOD! (sorry for the bold type,only for emphasis). If you know your way around the registry (thoroughly), then you may take that track, otherwise a re-installation with SP3 slip streamed, would shampoo the dirt and dismay you are facing!:) I would have suggested a "restore" if the USB problem was absent when you took the B&R (that's one info' you have not given us).:rolleyes:

8. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear Godart,
    Just wanted to add that "rootkit infections" are the most over-looked causes of such behaviour! I am providing a link with which you can exclude Rootkits as a cause! Rootkit Repeal is very thorough, but beware that KIS2010,2011(i have the latter) will red flag it(but i guess you can override it-at least i did with no probs.) Sophos and GMER are good! Anything "RED" in the GMER report is rootkit! Link : http://remove-malware.com/antimalware/anti-malware-howto/free-rootkit-removal-steps/ .Best wishes!:)

9. Godart

Godart Thread Starter

Well, well, well - Kaspersky seems to have been the problem.

I had upgraded to KIS2011 a while back but Kaspersky have released a new version recently. I decided to check out their forums and came across something that seemed very familiar. http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=172894

I've followed the process of as laid out by "mkoundo" on 9 June 2010 and installed the latest build of KIS2011. As he says - problem fixed but not sure how.

I don't know why KIS2011 didn't immediately stop the drivers but waited a few weeks.

Oh well, we might get bored if the computers worked perfectly every time!!

Thanks for your ideas everyone and (in the nicest possible way) I hope we don't have to correspond again (on this topic).

Bye for now

Godart

10. itsjusme

itsjusme

Strange problem, hope Kaspersky gets that fixed soon. Thanks for sharing that, and good job chasing it down.(y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/940852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice