1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] usb problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by larrycleve, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larrycleve

larrycleve Thread Starter

I've been trying to connect a usb external hard drive to a hp pavilion laptop with win me. When the usb cable is plugged in the drivers start loading and then the blue screen of death comes on with this message-problem with system file vxd dynamic link call ntmaphlpc(02)+00000002 to "004f" service 1. I assume this has to do with a corrupted vxd file. Any ideas how to correct this? Thanks, Larry.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

I would start by downloading new drivers from manf website.

we would need the make/model of the drive also on this one as I was unable to find any references to that error message.

3. larrycleve

This is an Acom external hard drive. Their manual says it should work with generic win me usb drivers. I called tech support and they said to look on the web for vxd fixes. I found some sites that said to copy some vxd files from the cab files to the system folder. They didn't give any specific usb files. I thought about trying to remove the usb driver from device manager and then have windows reinstall it. Also would it be safe to just copy vxd files from cab to system without knowing what they were? Thanks, Larry.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

6. larrycleve

I'll try those suggestions and see what happens. Larry.

7. larrycleve

I'm going to reinstall win me with the /p i switch. I'm then going to restore using retrospect. Retrospect says to install windows to a temp directory as the restore puts the backed up windows folder to c:\windows. Wouldn't doing this defeat the purpose of installing win me with the /p i switch? If win me is installed to the c:\windows folder would retrospect be able to restore the backed up windows configuration while maintaining the /p i characteristics? Thanks, Larry.

8. larrycleve

I believe I got this solved. It took a lot of exploring on the internet and trial and error. The following registry key was modified. Go to Hkey_Local Machines\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current version\detect. Then add the following string values-InorePnPBios with a value of 1. Then add the string value-ACPIOption with a value of 2. These seem to somehow change the power management of win me. Trying to troubleshoot this based on the error message was an exercise in futility. This had nothing to do with vxd files. This is a good example of how screwed up me is compared to xp. I have 2 xp desktops and the usb drive connects with them instantly with no problems. Unfortunately the laptop doesn't have enough horsepower to run xp. Thanks for your help, Larry.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice