1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atryeu, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atryeu

atryeu Banned Thread Starter

Hi!

I had this same problem over the summer and I did make a post about it I believe but I never heard back from anybody. The same problem happened back in October as well, and just started up again today pretty bad.

While I was trying to print out a tax form for my dad earlier, the printer stopped after 1 of 4 pages had been done and the system gave me a blue screen error. It took awhile, but I managed to get everything printed.

I was also trying to transfer some images from a digital camera to the computer. The software would search the camera's memory for images and then I would get the blue screen again with the exact same error as before.

During the summer, it happened while my brother was trying to move a song to his MP3 player, and in October it happened while I was printing a black and white graphic.

On the blue screen, it said that there was an error and the computer had been shut down to prevent files from being damaged, etc. It had the following tech. info:

BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER

*** STOP: 0x000000FE (0x00000005, 0x8607D0E0, 0x10024375, 0x859F0180)

After the computer was rebooted and everything loaded, an alert comes up saying there was a serious error. It had a link to get the tech. info. On the window that comes up with the tech info, there is another link that listed 2 file locations (both of which do not exist on the system. I have it set to show hidden files and I manually when to the location and tried a search. The folder the files are in does not exist).

I took a screenshot of the alert windows information and attached it to this post.

Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated! I really needed to use the digital camera for a few things earlier and today was my only chance to use it. It belongs to a company my dad works for and he has to take it back to work with him tonight. The printer is also a big problem. It gets used for some important things several times a month.

I'm running Win XP SP2. I'm unsure which version the USB ports are...

Thank you!
    - Jennifer

Attached Files:

2. rugrat

rugrat

3. atryeu

I think I found the support page to contact MS:
    http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=3221&

However it's listing all sorts of prices just to get ahold of them. Any idea how I can reach MS support for the hotfix and avoid the payments? It doesn't seem that you are able to get ahold of them for free.

---------------------
    I was looking at the link you gave me again and I noticed something... Under the Hotfix area, it has an image with some file information about the hotfix.... I just looked up the filename: ntkrnlmp.exe and looked at the properties of the file. On the image, it says the hotfix version of the file is 5.1.2600.1143, but the version of the file I have is: 5.1.2600.2622

Could that mean that the fix may have added to my system already, either when I purchased SP2, or perhaps through the Windows Update?

4. rugrat

rugrat

I just re-read your post. If you are running SP2, this is already fixed.
    See here,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811113/

It is listed as the 23rd item down

Sorry, I'll try a little more research.

5. atryeu

Hmm... I have not had any luck on my end still. I finished getting the last few high priority Windows updates and I have ran a couple scans but no luck yet....

6. atryeu

I have looked around online and tried to update the rest of the security patches and such and I have not had any luck yet.

I am afraid to remove the drivers and get them reinstalled because my mouse has to run off the USB ports and I don't have a working mouse with the old parallel or ps/2 ports :(

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

Jennifer,
    The fact that this is sporadic leads me to believe that it may not be Windows related. Usually when this type of action is Windows related it's all or nothing. Works or doesn't. Having said that you could install SP2 again, you can get it here: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpsp2.html It may be that a file is corrupted.
    Before you do that let me ask, do you notice when this happens that your CPU usage is massive? If so this may be fixed with this small patch: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/winxpusb.html

No matter what, if you do anything like this make a restore point before you reinstall SP2 or the small patch.

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

PS: That sp2 is a giant file, 272 MBs so if you don't have high speed internet find someone who does and you'll still be there awhile.

9. atryeu

Hi griffinspc,

Lucky me my version of Win XP already has SP2 added into it so I didn't need to download the file.

I'm afraid I was unable to see if the CPU usage was high or not while it happened. The blue screen would just pop up and force me to restart the whole system to move on. I do remember when I was trying to transfer pictures from the digital camera, there were only a couple of extra programs running... Norton Systemworks running in the background and Callwave. When it happened while I was trying to print out the tax form, I remember that Outlook Express was also running, Photoshop, and Adobe Reader (the form was online in .pdf format). I remember Photoshop being open in the past when the error popped up while printing a line art graphic I'd done as well....

Generally, I do not see the CPU usage raise up higher than 15-20% and that's while I'm usually working with graphics.

I do know that I have a mouse that runs off the USB ports, my printer does, and a scanner that does not work now anyways. When I do have access to the digital camera, that runs off the USB port, and my brother's MP3 player also does. Of those, only the printer, camera and mp3 player has triggered the problem. The mouse and scanner never did. Before I upgraded my motherboard and OS during the summer, I was running Win ME and never had the errors pop up with the printer, mouse or scanner.

I'm unsure if I can try and reinstall just SP2 since it installed automatically with Win XP.

10. griffinspc

griffinspc

Whew, lot of info there. :) Norton Systemworks. If you shut down all of the Norton service except anti-virus does it happen at all? You'd have to do a test. I'm like a lot of others, whether it be Norton or McAfee those full service suites are nothing but trouble. With all those USB devices plugged in that may also be a problem. They all use power from the USB BUS and if there's not enough to go around they can crash and burn. You again should test by only using what you need. I'd also uninstall the scanner and it's software if it's not working.

11. griffinspc

griffinspc

That's a new one, ME running better than another OS. :D

12. bigbear

bigbear

13. atryeu

I hate Norton personally... I haven't had trouble with the software, but they let far to many things slip through and they don't have a lot of old viruses that the program should protect against :( The only reason I stuck with it was because a few free ones I had tried in the past didn't run well, and a lot of them didn't want to run on Win ME.

LoL And yeah, I thought it was very odd. I'd used Win ME since it came out and the only problems I was having were due to hardware issues. The OS itself ran just fine. I'm annoyed that I have to learn all these tricks with XP now though. I'd used ME for all that time and I got so used to certain shortcuts and features that are not part of XP anymore.

The scanner is not currently installed. There was a possible fix to get it running again but I'm having trouble getting the fix installed so I had removed the scanner software. I unplugged it after the USB problems started up a few months ago and it didn't seem to help solve the problem.

I did manage to print a page of text without the problem coming up, however the big problem started with the digital camera and I won't have access to that again for awhile. I'll see if I can come up with something larger to print after I wake up tomorrow and see if it brings the error up again or not still. I'll be sure and set Norton not to start up when I do the test.

14. atryeu

I tested a small black and white graphic and it seemed to print okay. I'll try a larger one tomorrow... My power was out all day and just came on about an hour ago... Norton was running through it's weekly scan and I did notice that during the scan, the CPU usage raised to around 50%, however while it runs in the background and is not running a scan, and with my usual programs open, the CPU usage stays generally no higher than 10%. Unless there were problems that raised the usage up before the error pops up, my CPU usage doesn't appear to be the cause. I shall see in the morning when I test print a larger graphic.

15. atryeu

I test printed another small line art graphic that was 400x400 pixels and the error did not come up. I'll see if I can get ahold of that digital camera again and try and transfer another picture to the computer. That won't be until probably the 27th that I can get ahold of it again for the day though.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice