1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB Restarts PC

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ccucu, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ccucu

Ccucu Thread Starter

Hello.

I have a PC that had Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 installed on it.

I needed SP3 installed or a program to work so I downloaded the SP3 pack put it on a memory stick and tried to install.
    During the installation the PC restarted.

I opened the case cleaned it up (it was quite dirty) but the computer would restart over and over again.
    i replaced the power supply and the pc started quite right.

So I got into Windows and wanted to go on wit hSP3 installation, but when I plug the USB in the port the PC restarted. I tried all USB ports (front and back). Also tried with 2 more memory sticks and an external hard drive.
    Same happens.

I disabled automatic restart and I got a blue screen: 0x0000007e.

I uninstalled all devices under USB from device manager and reatrted the PC allowing them to reinstall automatically but this didn't help either.
    Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

did you check that when you cleaned out the computer you did not disconnect something? this could be the problem

3. Ccucu

Ccucu Thread Starter

All cables are instact.
    I am trying to install service pack 3 using windows update now (before PC wasn't connected to internet).
    Maybe I messed up something during the first time I tried.

Upgrading BIOS could help maybe? I never upgraded it, it's the same version from when I purchased it (1-2 years ago)

4. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

you should not need to update the bios, my computer was quite old when i upgraded to sp3 over three year old i think

5. Ccucu

Ccucu Thread Starter

ok, installing SP3 via windows update fixed the problem :)

Thanks for your imputs

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice