Solved: USB Restarts PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ccucu

Hello.

I have a PC that had Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 installed on it.

I needed SP3 installed or a program to work so I downloaded the SP3 pack put it on a memory stick and tried to install.
During the installation the PC restarted.

I opened the case cleaned it up (it was quite dirty) but the computer would restart over and over again.
i replaced the power supply and the pc started quite right.

So I got into Windows and wanted to go on wit hSP3 installation, but when I plug the USB in the port the PC restarted. I tried all USB ports (front and back). Also tried with 2 more memory sticks and an external hard drive.
Same happens.

I disabled automatic restart and I got a blue screen: 0x0000007e.

I uninstalled all devices under USB from device manager and reatrted the PC allowing them to reinstall automatically but this didn't help either.
Any ideas?

Thanks

did you check that when you cleaned out the computer you did not disconnect something? this could be the problem

Ccucu

All cables are instact.
I am trying to install service pack 3 using windows update now (before PC wasn't connected to internet).
Maybe I messed up something during the first time I tried.

Upgrading BIOS could help maybe? I never upgraded it, it's the same version from when I purchased it (1-2 years ago)

you should not need to update the bios, my computer was quite old when i upgraded to sp3 over three year old i think

Ccucu

ok, installing SP3 via windows update fixed the problem :)

Thanks for your imputs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online