1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] USB Smart Card Reader for XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by theMusicMan, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

Hi Folks

I have recently upgraded from Me to XP - with no regrets at all. However there is one piece of equipment I have that simply will not work (the XP installation report DID tell me about this!)

I have a USB Smart/Flash Combi Card reader that I use in the main for bringing pictures in from my digital camera (which, although very good, doesn't use the USB port - it uses either Smart media or - you've guessed - the serial port (aaaarrrrgggghhhhh). Hence the purchase of a seperate USB Card reader.

Now as I see it I have 2 options;

1 - upgrade the USB reader drivers;
    2 - purchase a new USB card reader for XP

I have looked around for drivers with no luck, so I guess I will have to purchase a new card reader. Anyone have any recommendations?

rgds

John

2. Candice

Candice

I have same problem-looking for answers-help-still donot know how to use this question program:mad:

3. theMusicMan

Candice

Do you have an Olympus camera then? If so, do you know you are able to use the serial port. Also, have you installed Camedia?

I can use these but much prefer USB so I will purchase a card reader I think!

John

4. mrcoons

mrcoons

Is "USB Smart/Flash Combi Card reader" the brand name of your reader? Possibly I can suggest a few places to get the driver if I know the brand name. (I went thru this with my SanDisk reader.)

5. theMusicMan

Hi Mark

The brand name of my USB reader is "PC Line" - any poointers would be great thanks.

John

6. mrcoons

mrcoons

Well the closest I can find is not much. The attached jpg file lists all of the companies that start with PC that make driver related hardware.
    This list is from www.drivers.com but I'll check a couple of other places.

Attached Files:

7. mrcoons

mrcoons

I forgot to ask: what is the file name of the current version of the driver?

8. theMusicMan

Hi All

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. I have now managed to resolve the issue, just in case anyone else experiences a similar problem I hope you don't mind my sharing it with you all. Here goes......

I managed to find a www site referenced in the ReadMe file that came with the installation..

http://www.datafabusa.com

Select Download Drivers > then USB Card Reader Number and you notice a 'new' driver recently added to the site for XP.

Downloaded this and install it, and following a little tweaking, inserting, updating drivers in Device Manager, unplugging et al I finally got it all to work.

I can now retrieve all my Digital Pics - phew!!!!

Happy to converse with anyone experiencing the same problems,

regards to you all

John

9. Dan O

Dan O

That's great news, thanks for sharing the info. I will mark this thread solved.

10. mrcoons

mrcoons

Great, glad you got this corrected. How did you find the site you mentioned?

11. Candice

Candice

That is great news-I am printing out your instructions-wish me luck!

Candice.USA-NYC, NY:D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice