1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB Stick issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Filmfun, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Filmfun

Filmfun Thread Starter

Hello

Two weeks ago I restored my laptop (Acer Extensa 5220, Vista Home Basic) to factory settings. I copied all my documents (folders, loose word/spreadsheets etc.)
    onto a USB stick.

While the laptop was being restored, I had to urgently send some documents by email, so I used a friend's notebook,
    (HP Mini Windows 7 Starter), inserted the USB stick into it, and was able to attach the documents from the copies stored, and send.

I didn't unplug the USB stick by the 'safely remove hardware' option (I accept now that perhaps I should have done) , but when my laptop was ready to use again, I inserted the USB stick in, everything was fine, and I copied a few select folders over, figuring I didn't needed to clutter up my hard drive with everything straight away, and I would add the rest in later.

Today when I go to complete the copying, I find that although the laptop tells me that my USB stick is practically full
    it doesn't identify the particular folder anymore where the contents of 'My Documents' were stored i.e. this folder doesn't show up anymore when I open the USB stick.

I understand that if you don't use the 'safely remove hardware' option when you unplug a USB stick, this can cause this issue, however I was able to re-insert at fine and copy over selected folders after I had removed it from the note book. It's just now the problem has manifested itself.

Very grateful for any suggestions.

Rob :)

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I would run a data recovery program on the flash drive. If no success, you could try running
    CHKDSK x: /R
    where you substitute your drive letter for the X.

I guess you've learned the hard way.

What is even more aggravating than having to go through 'safely remove' is when it simply will not give the 'safe' message. I get that a lot and I have to shut down the computer to play it safe.

Another thing, when you backed your files to the USB drive and then destroyed the data on the hard disk, the USB flash drive became the only copy of your data.

Quote from JohnWill: Data you have only one copy of is data you don't care about.

I have a small shop. When I back up user data in anticipation of formatting or overwriting, I make two copies beforehand. So, when the data on the hard disk gets destroyed, there are still two copies.

3. Filmfun

Filmfun Thread Starter

Hi Alex

Firstly, thanks so much for your reply. :) This is the first time this kind of thing has happened - in the nature of my job, my laptop has been used to print off stuff from others' USB sticks and the users have not had problems when they've reinserted their USB back into their own computers. Also when I've transferred the USB stick between my laptop and desktop, again never encountered an issue. But I agree - you live and learn.

I downloaded a freeware programme called 'Disk Digger' which was able to identify the items on my USB stick, and I transferred them to a folder on my desktop. When trying to open them up though, the text is now all in, what looks like, hieroglyphics, and I was using Windows default. I wonder if they are corrupted beyond repair, or whether there's a better freeware piece of software
    that can help.

Very grateful for any more advice or suggestion you can offer.

Rob

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Google up the following:

"data recovery" freeware

Maybe you'll find what you are looking for.

5. Filmfun

Filmfun Thread Starter

Thanks Alex

I did some research and found some software by Paretologic (being offered at special dealprice) and it seems to have recovered the majority of documents on my USB stick. Still a lot of work to be done (some documents have been split up in the recovery process etc.) but hopefully I can retrieve most of it.

Thanks again

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice