1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: USB stuck in write protection. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sajjadbaqir, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sajjadbaqir

sajjadbaqir Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I have this relatively new USB of an unknown brand. It says OohTrack on it. Anyways, Its stuck in write protection for some reason and I cannot change any files on it anymore. Please help. I did a quick google search and tried to follow what people said but didn't work.

2. pip22

pip22

3. sajjadbaqir

I tried that exact same thing before, and it didnt help.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Does the device have a Write Protect switch on it?

Where did you buy this USB stick? By chance on eBay or a Market? It might be a fake stick or it may have broke.

5. sajjadbaqir

i got the stick from a cheap electronic store. I thought all usbs were built the same. it doesnt have a physical switch on it.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Not all are built the same. And its very common these days to buy fake USB sticks from eBay or local markets that do not have the capacity they claim, they fake their size and then once their real size is used they malfunction. If you bought it locally, return or exchange it - the device may have simply broken and they should offer some kind of warranty.

7. sajjadbaqir

it wasn't expensive, only about 10 bucks. But i guess i learned my lesson. If i can find the receipt then i will return it. Otherwise, I'll just get a better brand. Thanks for your help.

8. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO SUE

Ive always used san disk and kingston flash drives and never had a problem.But they cost a lot more than 10 dollars but are worth it.

9. sajjadbaqir

ok luckily i got an exchange for that faulty stick. I got the same brand. I'll just be more careful with it now and safely remove everytime.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you just did an exchange for the same piece of junk, you're no better off. Get a refund, and buy a name-brand flash drive from a reputable source.

11. sajjadbaqir

hey im lucky they even gave me an exchange. Now this one i got has 1 year warranty so if this messes up i will go back again. Thanks

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No, you would have been *really* lucky to get a refund. You'll probably be back there a few times to swap that drive for another and another and another. Maybe you'll get lucky, and a legitimate one will sneak into the box.

13. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO SUE

I dont know where you are buying them from but most reputable computer or electronic places usually sell the good well made ones not cheap generic ones no one has ever heard of.Ive had usb flash drives last for years because they were good well made ones.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1062078