1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] usb2.0 hard drive won't format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ed_hunt, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ed_hunt

ed_hunt Thread Starter

Compaq 5834
    Windows 2000 Pro
    Version 5.0
    Servic Pack 4
    192 RAM
    c:\ Primary hard drive = 13GB
    d:\system_save drive = 3GB
    e:\16xDVD
    f:\48x12x
    g:\Add on hard drive as slave = 40GB

Purchased a 'acomdata' 120GB usb2.0 hard drive.Followed installation instructions, but it will not format the drive. When the formatting screen appears, the only choice I have is FAT, NTSF, or FAT32 and start. I've tried all three, and I've tried formatting the drive on a Dell laptop with Windows XP with same result. After about 40 minutes, the process appears to complete by the progress bar and a message appears which says formatting cannot be completed.
    H:\ shows on menu in MyComputer but clicking on properties show the drive has no free space even though there is 0 bytes of data in folders and files.
    The Acomdata tech support desk has not responded. Any help out there?

2. bowmar

bowmar

More that likely the drive is defective, take back to supplier and have them test and supply new one.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You could also try it on another machine, just to make sure it's really the drive. I agree, it's probably defective, I've had no trouble with a variety of USB 2.0 drives, I have 7-8 of them here, various brands and sizes.

4. ed_hunt

ed_hunt Thread Starter

:D
    Power adapter was bad, used an old adapter and drive formatted in NTSF. I'm running.
    Thanks for the replies.
    :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/207531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice