Solved: Use files simultaneously in Word & Excel

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

reallylovessleep

Is there a way to configure Microsoft applications so that I can have a window open with a file from Word and a window open with an Excel file and edit them simultaneously? When I have both windows open now, whichever one I click in stays open and the other automatically minimizes itself. I'd also like to be able to have a Microsoft file and browser window open (and editable) and the same time.
Many thanks!
Abigail

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you are asking to be able to change 2 different files at the same time, then the answer is no.

reallylovessleep

I mean I want to be able to do things like cut a cell from an excel file and paste it into a word doc without one of them closing on me. Or even just keep one up as reference while I make changes to the other one.

valis

yeah, that's just 'windows'.......below is my desktop with it's open windows. I just hit alt-tab at the same time to move through them.

Attachments

Triple6

Rob
Yes, that has been possible since Windows 3.1. Simply use the ALT and TAB key to switch between open programs, ALT plus ESC also easily switches between two programs. So you would press and hold down the ALT key and then press the TAB key until it goes to the program you want to switch too. You can also click on the icon for the program you want to switch too on the task bar at the bottom of your screen. Pressing the Windows Key along with the TAB key also allows you to see and to switch between open programs.

reallylovessleep

I need them both open -and viewable- at the same time though, so I can compare data from one to the other. I should have clarified that the programs aren't "closed" they're minimized.

valis

how are you clicking on them? Did you see my screen shot? I don't even use the mouse, just hit alt and tab at the same time to toggle between them.

reallylovessleep

Ah- I see now that they *both* need to be resized in order to stop one of them from minimizing. Thanks!

valis

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts