1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: use group policy to open a port through win firewall on domain with sbs2008

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by captainpie, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. captainpie

captainpie Thread Starter

Hi all,

anyone know how to use group policy on SBS2008 to open a port on windows firewall for all client machines?

I have found: CC > Policies > Administrative Templates > Network Connections > windows firewall > Domain Profile

Windows Firewall: allow local port exceptions, and Windows Firewall: allow local program exceptions. which I have set both to enabled, but cant find anywhere to specify ports to open.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Is there already a gateway firewall device? Why use the one in Windows if there is? You have to define them and add them as colon separated values.
    <port>:<transport>:<scope>:<status>:<name>

3. captainpie

Hi Rockn!

The only firewall they are using is the windows builtin. there is a firewall on the gateway, but i need to open ports just for internal use. (they have a new phone system going in, and the tech from those guys asked for this port to be opened)

4. Rockn

Rockn

But why even run a Windows Firewall if there is already a gateway firewall? You are just adding complexity and not really adding any extra security. Unless of course if it is company policy to run the Windows firewall.

5. captainpie

windows firewall only to stop maliciousness inside the company network, the other firewall only affects in and out of gateway. The comapny was asked and decided not to spring for any extra security other than avg av and win firewall for internal.

6. Rockn

Rockn

Well the way I explained it is the way it is done via Group Policy

7. captainpie

are they defined in the where I say "enable" or "disable" or "not configured" in Group Policy?

8. Rockn

Rockn

You enable or disable the policy item and add the ports inside of that item. There is a button right there once you enable the setting.

9. Rockn

Rockn

I am sure the [hone tech was stating that the port should be opened on the gateway firewall and not on the client.

10. captainpie

no, the phone tech chappie was having a problem getting the internal software talking. This software is just running over the internal lan. he only got it working when he disabled win firewall on the client.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice