1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: use my wifi router as wifi adapteR??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by metallica5456, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    I have a Netgear WGR614v9 router and was wondering if its possible to use this as a wireless adapter for my computer?? I think it might support the DDWRT open source firmware??? I am wanting to do this STRICTLY as a learning purpose.

2. ahcrapnotagain

ahcrapnotagain

That completely depends on the wireless chip set, its possible but very unlikely as most routers do not have a chip set that will let you do that. If you want a really good wireless adapter I would suggest getting a Alfa there a portable usb adapter but quiet powerful and very versatile, pretty common in wardriving and white hat. DDWRT supports v8 only according to there site. and even if it did it wouldn't necessarily mean it would work as an adapter.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can't use a router as a wireless adapter, but some can be used as a wireless bridge ("extends" a wireless network to an ethernet segment). That is what you want, and what you can do if there is third party firmware for that Netgear.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What exactly do you want to do with this project?

5. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hey guys, well I have a wireless router that I am not using. Just for a learning experience and for fun wanted to know if it can be done. No special reason...if I cant use it as an wireless adapter Can I use it as a repeater???

6. CompGeek2014

CompGeek2014

You would have to determine if it supports DD-WRT and if in fact it does, and the hardware will support repeater mode you can. I would look up the tutorials on how to set it up. There is no garantee it would work with your existing router in that mode either. Also a word of caution...Repeater mode can cut your available throughput down to about half due to the fact that it has to receive the signal and then repeat it to the base unit and then back to the repeater and then to your client rather than if you used a second access point with a wired uplink to the main network. You could use the exact same wireless settings as the base unit and effectively enable roaming access points as most clients will automatically jump from access point to another with a better signal, but again I would suggest looking at the tutorials over from the folks at DD-WRT. I just love what they do over there.

7. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    ypu guys have been most helpful in providing me the info I requested. it appears that my SPECIFIC model doesn't support DDWRT therefore I am going to just mark solved and leave it at that. Thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1119520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice