1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: use xp and ubuntu same time?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by cleardarksky, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cleardarksky

cleardarksky Thread Starter

i use win xp home edition on my main drive but i also have a second drive with win 98 se connected as a "slave" i'd like to know if i can install a third hard drive with ubuntu on it? i want to use the second and third drive for storage only, i don't want to boot into win 98 or ubuntu.

2. Kitch

Kitch

If you only want the other hard drives as storage, why have operating systems on them at all?

3. cleardarksky

do i need to install an operating system if i want to use extra drives for storage only, or do i simply connect the extra drives and leave them blank (formated)?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Just leave them blank. Data drives do not need operating systems installed.

5. cleardarksky

the third drive i want to install currently has win98 installed but can i format the drive - leaving it blank- and then use it for storage or do i need to do something else?

6. MrFixit52

MrFixit52

Just format it in NTSF and you can use it for storage.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You don't even have to format it. Once it's connected, it will just be seen as a data drive. The computer won't care that it has an operating system installed. Then you delete what you want or completely format it.

If you're going to be using it with both Windows and Linux, pick a file system compatible with both.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Which won't be NTFS. :)

9. briealeida

briealeida

I'm lost on this, though.
    You want to install Ubuntu on one of your hard drives but you don't want to boot to it?

Can you explain more what you mean?

10. cleardarksky

i have a hard drive with win98 se but the operating system does not work right, multiple viruses and spyware on it, i removed some but still have problems (let me also say that i use this drive for storage only) since i don't know much about computers i thought a drive needs an operating system in order to be used i didn't know i could use a hard drive without an operating system much like a flash drive that's why my initial thinking was to format the drive and install a free operating system like ubuntu.
    ...and now you know.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    As mentioned, if you are going to use only one operating system, you don't need to install other operating systems on the other drives.

Unless you are planning to use them that is.

When you have added the drives in (and assuming you are sticking with Windows XP), the drives will show up in My Computer (or the Manage console, which is Right Click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management) and all you need to do is format them before using them.

12. emoric

emoric

I agree!

13. cleardarksky

ok folks, i understand, i don't need an operating system if i use the drive for storage only, i get it now, thanks.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice