1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Used wrong adapter, now laptop does not recognize a hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by serenes, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. serenes

serenes Thread Starter

I have a good feeling my HDD is fried, but might as well ask for opinions here.

I flew over to Jordan from the USA and of course needed an adapter for my laptop, which I had brought with me. I didn't even think of checking the voltage and used it on the first day (unknowingly) with an incompatible adapter. At first the laptop would freeze and I'd get the BSOD. I downloaded BlueScreenView in safe mode and found the driver that was "causing" the problem (ntoskrnl.exe). Soon I became bluescreened even in safe mode until over the course of a few days, my laptop would not startup, not even into safe mode. Now, as of last night, when I boot up I recieve the following message:

"Check connection cable!

No bootable device-- insert boot disk!"

There was more in between but these seemed like the most important points

I went into BIOS and by HDD was the word "None". So, not even BIOS recognized a harddrive and thats when my heart sank and I eventually came to the conclusion that my bad adapter fried my HDD.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5050 running on Windows 7 Home Premium. Before I get it serviced, I decided to post here for any other pieces of advice.

Thanks!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You could get an adapter to try the hard drive connected to another machine.

But, the damage is unknown. It could even be the drive controller that burned out (the main board) and not the drive. You'll be very lucky if you get out of this one.

3. serenes

serenes Thread Starter

Well, I got the correct adapter (I checked!) and plugged it in, and now the "no bootable device- insert book disk" message is gone and now I get the choices of starting windows with safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, and starting windows normally. However, this is as far as I get because it restarts shortly after choosing an option. When entering safe mode, I only get as far as the "loading drivers" screen before it restarts. Starting windows normally means i stare at the "starting windows" logo for a few minutes before restarting. Basically, I can't get into my account at all. Is this an improvement?

In any case, someone picked up the laptop yesterday and I'm supposed to get it back today.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, it sounds better.

The next thing that you could check that is fixable and may have failed from power is the RAM. No use checking things that can't be fixed. If you're really lucky and have a bad RAM stick, you may have survived this after all.

Memory Testing (including bootable CD's and floppies):

Memtest86
    MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

5. serenes

serenes Thread Starter

I just got a call from the guy at the shop and I have been informed that I need an entirely new hard drive, because the electricity zapped it (thanks to my silly mistake of not checking the voltage). He said he'll try to salvage my files, but it would be very difficult to do so. Luckily hard drive replacements are cheaper here than in the USA, but that's really the only bright spot. I'm losing 90 GB of stuff and unfortunately there's nothing to do about it. Thanks anyways for your help, I appreciate it! :)

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I hope he's right and that's all that is wrong. I'd get the drive back from him if I were you. There is no telling (unless you know him) exactly how hard he will work on retrieval, and you may want to try your hand at it with some of the tools that are available if he doesn't get all your files back. At least, that's what I would do.

You can mark your thread "solved" if you are done with this thread. (You can still comment and let us know what happened, and it can be "unsolved" at your request.)

7. serenes

serenes Thread Starter

I got my laptop back, and my old hard drive too. He installed two 80 GB hard drives and claimed he could not get my files back. I paid 300 shekel ($76) for them which sounds pretty good and he's throwing in a charger with the European plug, so no adapter would be needed. The laptop is working fine, and it seems that it's been totally fixed. I gave my old HDD to my cousin's husband who said he'll try to retrieve my stuff, since he has a computer shop himself. Thank you for all your help! I will close this thread. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice