1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: user account control

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by remarkrp, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. remarkrp

remarkrp Thread Starter

I have a backup program (ntbackup) that used to run fine on XP and 7. I ran it every night using the task scheduler to take automatic backups of important stuff. Now on Windows 8 it requires admin authority. I've no idea why but is there some way I could permanently authorize this program? It still works great except that I have to run it manually and respond to the user account control for it to continue. Is there any way to avoid this? Or is there some way to make the task scheduler pre-stage a response to the UAC query?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

File History, together with the system image facility inherited from 7 is the new way in 8.
    please see screenshot

to the best of my knowledge, whilst there are ways to allow a program through UAC, they are most certainly NON Microsoft
    registry fixes or questionable software

As File history and image are built into the system they do not invoke UAC

Attached Files:

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  4. Macboatmaster

Indeed as I said as well

5. remarkrp

remarkrp Thread Starter

Folks, thanks for the quick reply. Unless I'm missing something, File History will not do what I want. It says it backs up libraries, desktop, contacts and favorites. I had actually tried it and it promptly tried to back up a whole boatload of stuff I didn't care about and it doesn't seem to let me tell it what I really want to back up. I really don't care that much about my libraries or what's on my desktop, I have more important stuff in various places on my hard drive. I guess I could create a "backup library" that contained the stuff I want to back up, but I can't tell if File History would let me tell it to back up that library. Looks like it only backs up the libraries it wants to. Ntbackup, on the other hand, lets me specify exactly what to back up, whether it's a whole directory or a single file in that directory, or the whole darn hard drive. I'm thinking that I'll probably need to go out and buy some third party backup program but I sure wish I could stick with ntbackup.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It does let you choose what folders and files to backup and it can even create a full system image of the entire drive that can be used to restore the system, programs, settings, and data. When going through the setup of the backup just choose "Let me Choose" when asked "What do you want to Backup".

OR there's tons of free programs for backup available for download. Take a look at Cobian backup: http://www.cobiansoft.com/cobianbackup.htm

7. Macboatmaster

Again I agree and there is certainly no need to buy anything.
    As I said
    and that is Windows 7 file recovery, misleading in its name, but still a complete image and repair disc.

You have one recommendation from my colleague for a free back up program and here is one I use
    http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

8. remarkrp

remarkrp Thread Starter

Ok guys, many thanks for the info. I finally got my ntbackup to run by:
    1. changing it to run on my admin account
    2. checked "run whether user is logged on or not"
    3. checked "run with highest privileges"
    Now my ntbackup runs at 10:15 every evening just like I want it to and just like it did on 7, and on XP before that.
    I will also do more checking on the W8 file history. From your recommendations it looks like it may do some good things for me, maybe even replace ntbackup.
    Thanks again!

9. Macboatmaster

Pleased you got it working
    I would still urge you to do the system image and repair disk, that is separate from the file history.

The reason I say that is, if it is a new computer with Windows 8, pre installed it will have GPT partitioning, rather than MBR
    and it will have UEFI as against the traditional BIOS

It is control panel Windows 7 File recovery - misnamed as that seems.
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8956-system-image-create-windows-8-a.html

see option 2 please on link above

and custom image for refresh your PC on 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2748351

If it is not a new computer but one you have installed 8 on, with the traditional BIOS and not GPT formatted drives then I
    see no reason why your present backup would not restore.
    If it is UEFI and GPT I would urge caution - it is no use of course finding out that it will not restore when you need it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice