Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: User account password problem

1K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Zatopek 
#1 ·
My operating system is Windows XP, Home Edition. My problem is as follows: My daughter's user account is password protected and for some reason won't recognize the correct password. I have attempted, under her account and under the administrative account, to change the password and also delete it, but the attempted changes are ineffective. I tried making the changes under safe mode, but her account, for some reason, doesn't even appear when I go to User Accounts via the control panel. I considered just transferring her music and photos and setting up a new account. But, her photos are privacy protected so the account won't let me do that.

#2 ·
Welcome to TSG....

Is there some third party program that is being used for security purposes?

Also you might be better off posting this in the Security forum here at TSG to accomplish this just click on the little triangle at the top right of the posting box and ask a moderator to please move this thread to Security.

#3 ·
If her account doesn't even appear in the Control Panel, what steps were used to change the password on that account.

Also - "I have attempted, under her account and under the administrative account" - If you couldn't log in under her account how were you trying to change the password from it?

--

To take ownership of that folder again:

1. Log on with an account that has administrator rights
2. Right click on the folder
3. Select Properties
4. Click on the Security tab
5. Click on the Advanced button
6. Click on the Owner tab
7. In the list of Names, click on your name
8. To take ownership, click on Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
9. Click OK and Yes

#5 ·
I am using Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security. Regarding how I logged on without the password, I didn't. I tried to change the password via User Accounts on the Control Panel and when that didn't work, tried to simply delete the password the same way. Neither attempt worked.

#7 ·
Getting conflicting information.

"but her account, for some reason, doesn't even appear when I go to User Accounts via the control panel."

"tried to change the password via User Accounts on the Control Panel "

If it doesn't show in the Control Panel / User Accounts, how did you try and change it from there?

---

Note - Now this new information changes things again.

Can you please post all the information at once. Too hard to keep track of all the updates and make suggestions based on them.

#13 ·
It would be whatever folder you meant by "I considered just transferring her music and photos and setting up a new account."

Without knowing any more details, I can't be more specific.

Generally they are in their user directory under C:\Documents and Settings, in their My Documents folder under My Music and My Photos.

So it would be something like C:\Documents and Settings\USERID\My Documents\My Music and My Photos. Where USERID is replaced with their actual user id.

At least, since nothing else is working as you mentioned, you could then copy any thing you need to a new user account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.