1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: User account password problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zatopek, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zatopek

Zatopek Thread Starter

My operating system is Windows XP, Home Edition. My problem is as follows: My daughter's user account is password protected and for some reason won't recognize the correct password. I have attempted, under her account and under the administrative account, to change the password and also delete it, but the attempted changes are ineffective. I tried making the changes under safe mode, but her account, for some reason, doesn't even appear when I go to User Accounts via the control panel. I considered just transferring her music and photos and setting up a new account. But, her photos are privacy protected so the account won't let me do that.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Is there some third party program that is being used for security purposes?

Also you might be better off posting this in the Security forum here at TSG to accomplish this just click on the little triangle at the top right of the posting box and ask a moderator to please move this thread to Security.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If her account doesn't even appear in the Control Panel, what steps were used to change the password on that account.

Also - "I have attempted, under her account and under the administrative account" - If you couldn't log in under her account how were you trying to change the password from it?

--

To take ownership of that folder again:

1. Log on with an account that has administrator rights
    2. Right click on the folder
    3. Select Properties
    4. Click on the Security tab
    5. Click on the Advanced button
    6. Click on the Owner tab
    7. In the list of Names, click on your name
    8. To take ownership, click on Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
    9. Click OK and Yes

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

5. Zatopek

Zatopek Thread Starter

I am using Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security. Regarding how I logged on without the password, I didn't. I tried to change the password via User Accounts on the Control Panel and when that didn't work, tried to simply delete the password the same way. Neither attempt worked.

6. Zatopek

Zatopek Thread Starter

I forgot to add that her account appears in the User Accounts via the Control Panel when in the normal operating mode. But, when I tried to fix the problem in safe mode, her account is not shown.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Getting conflicting information.

"but her account, for some reason, doesn't even appear when I go to User Accounts via the control panel."

"tried to change the password via User Accounts on the Control Panel "

If it doesn't show in the Control Panel / User Accounts, how did you try and change it from there?

---

Note - Now this new information changes things again.

Can you please post all the information at once. Too hard to keep track of all the updates and make suggestions based on them.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It looks like getting the admin password is not the problem. Is that correct?

"I considered just transferring her music and photos and setting up a new account"
    What were the results of trying to take ownership of the directories?

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need to log in with an account that has Administrator privileges. What error messages, if any, do you receive when attempting to reset the password on the account?

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Zatopek,

From your first post - "I have attempted, under her account and under the administrative account" - it appears that you have tried this logging in as the administrator. Is that correct?

11. Zatopek

Zatopek Thread Starter

I couldn't try to "take ownership of that folder" because I couldn't figure out what folder you are talking about and how to get to it.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Taking ownership of files isn't going to help you change the password. That will only allow you to read the files from another account (if you currently cannot) should you be unable to change that account's password.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It would be whatever folder you meant by "I considered just transferring her music and photos and setting up a new account."

Without knowing any more details, I can't be more specific.

Generally they are in their user directory under C:\Documents and Settings, in their My Documents folder under My Music and My Photos.

So it would be something like C:\Documents and Settings\USERID\My Documents\My Music and My Photos. Where USERID is replaced with their actual user id.

At least, since nothing else is working as you mentioned, you could then copy any thing you need to a new user account.

14. Zatopek

Zatopek Thread Starter

I tried taking ownership of the files. However, when I followed the steps suggested, there was no security tab so now way to get to owners tab. Is there something else i can try?

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

To confirm, when you logged in as "administrator" you could still not copy her files to another location and then open them.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/563207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice