1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: User Account Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Kolias, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

I just bought a new Asus laptop with windows 8.1(64bit) pre installed. All went find setting windows but I got a problem with the users account.

During the setup windows created an administration account using my MS account (my email as the name and my password) and this account was setup as Administrator. I’m the only one using the laptop.

Another account was also setup with my name but it was not for Administrator and I could not change it to be the administrator

What I want to do is just have one administrator account with my name and delete all other accounts. How can I do that?

2. Sponsor

3. Golden_

Golden_

You can manage account by going into Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > Remove User Accounts

4. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

This will not change the name of Administrator Account

Reading on the web I can only change the name of this account by going to account.live.com sign in change the name. Funny part is that the name there is already my name where what I have in my Start screen is Administrator

Very confusing

5. Golden_

Golden_

In such case, then it may only apply then since you are using a Microsoft account. But when you switch to local, then you can change the username any time.

6. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Not likely, there is no way to change the name of this Admin account. So I made another admin account and using an elevated command prompt I used "net user administrator / active:no" and that account now is gone!

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Did you try to change the user account to Admin when logged in the MS Admin account?

Go to the Control Panel, then User Accounts, then Manage Accounts.
    There you should se ALL user accounts and just select one, then there will be a list of items that you can do.

ANY Admin account can do this, but any Standard can NOT.

Also note: When changing the "Name" the default folder does NOT get renamed.

8. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Kind of confusing but I decided to keep the Administrator account as is and use the one I created with my name which has admin rights. Thank you

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1133331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice