Solved: User profile copy fails

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xitbill

I'm having problems copying an existing user profile to a new user account in Vista Premium. Originally, I had only only an administrator's account. My intention was to create a 2nd account with the same profile settings as the administrator account, but with only user privileges. I tried the following :

. Created 2 new accounts (B) and (C), where (B) had administrative privileges and (C) was a user account. The original administrator account (A) was reset to user privilege.
. Logged on to both new accounts for initializing.
. logged on to (B) and copied profile settings (under System Properties, Advanced, User Profile Settings) from (A) to C:\ users\(C)
. The copy grinded for about 2 minutes than finished. The size parameters in the profile settings window for (A) and (C) didn't agree, so I'm guessing that the copy failed. When I attempted to log on to (C), I got the err message "The Group policy Client Failed..." , access denied. I tried this procedure with UAC on and then with it off. Any ideas on how I might simply copy one user profile to another without the problems ?

I suppose the easiest way would be offline with a bootable OS like UBCD4Win if you have access to one.

I'm not too sure about the account you are trying to copy. Is it THE Administrator account, or AN Administrator account. I don't think you will be able to copy "THE".

xitbill

The problem has been resolved. I had the object name wrong in the entry field under the 'Permitted' section of the profile copy window. The copy worked and I was able to log on to the user account. Most odf the Desktop is present except the background display and sidebar entries. I can now reset my original account (A) back to administrator and delete the temp account (B).

Good work.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online