1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: User profile dissasociated from account/logging onto temporary profile?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alias50, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alias50

Alias50 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Yesterday, I shut down my computer. A few hours later when trying to log back in, I get logged onto a blank profile, which I assume is a temporary profile.

Curiously the ProfileImagePath string under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-842173820-3506557639-1618326103-1004 is pointing to C:\Users\Mike_2.Mike-PC instead of C:\Users\Mike_2, which I assume is a temporary/alternate profile. (which I didn't create)

This has happened before, but usually a few restarts fixed the problem, however, that doesn't seem to be working now.

My question is, is there a way to reassociate the profile with the correct user folder? Or do I have to transfer everything over to a clean profile?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Its not an association issue, the user profile is corrupt, and is replaced by a temporary one.

Best thing to do is create a new user account, and migrate to that.

3. Alias50

Alias50 Thread Starter

Thanks, I managed to do just that. Out of curiosity, is there any reason why a profile might just randomly be corrupted? As I said, I logged off, and when I went to log back on a few hours later, the profile was corrupt, seemingly out of nowhere.

In any case, thanks again for your help.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Corruption can be caused by many things, if you have not run a chkdsk /r on the hard drive, I suggest you do.

After that is done defrag the hard drive if it is needed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice